Prologue: Hate List

In my four years in Pineda & Pineda, I have never been late. Today, I am. I blame it on the rainy weather -- one of the only three things I hate.

Even the elevator ride from the lower level parking to the lobby feels painfully slow today.

Gan'on yata talaga kapag alam ng mundo na nagmamadali ka.

"Good morning, Attorney!" bati sa akin ni Mara, our receptionist.

I gave her a small nod, and waved at her. Tumingin siya sa relo niya, at nang makitang pasado alas nuwebe na, her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"May sakit ka ba, Attor--"

"Miss, I really don't have the time. Can you now call your corporate law specialist? I need to talk to them now."

Natigilan si Mara, maybe because of how roughly she was cut off by the woman in front of her. I would have been taken aback, too, if I was her.

Even I was taken aback.

But not because some client has the audacity to be this demanding at 9:06 in the morning. It was something else.

I know her.

She's been haunting my dreams for the last six years. God knows how I'd give almost everything to hear that voice again.

Rae.

But why is she here?

Definitely not because of you, Yanis, I told myself.

"I am the corporate law specialist," I said instinctively.

"Att--" mukhang naguguluhan si Mara sa nangyayari, dahil una sa lahat, I am not a corporate law specialist.

I want to take it back, but the moment she turned to face me, my head went blank, and I could only stare.

Ang dami nang nagbago sa kanya.

She used to keep her hair long enough so she can tie it during her games; now she's sporting a bob cut.

I remember her wearing her old Keds sneakers almost every day; now she's wearing a stiletto which she doesn't need at all because she's unnecessarily tall.

She's now wearing an expensive-looking business ensemble; the Rae I have spent years thinking about used to wear an oversized shirt and short shorts.

But it was her eyes that did it for me -- those are not my Rae's eyes.

With that, I was catapulted back to the present moment and the cold hard fact that I am now just a part of her past, and she is now just a part of mine.

The audible sigh she let out when she saw me did things to my heart -- painful things. She shook her head in disbelief.

"Wala bang iba?" she said, obviously frustrated.

"Wala. Wala namang iba," I said, almost beside myself.

Wala namang naging iba.

She scoffed loudly.

I clutched my briefcase tightly, as I tried to compose myself.

"I am Atty. Yanis Sandoval. How can I help you?"

Emotions danced in her eyes, pero katulad ng dati, walang bahid ng kahit anong emosyon ang boses niya.

"I want to sue my business partner. Can you help me with that?"

I suppressed a smile.

So the girl I met because she was afraid I would file a lawsuit against her has come full circle, and has now willingly walked into a law office so she can file a lawsuit herself.

"We can talk about it in my office over coffee," I said, and I strode past her to the elevator bay, trusting, hoping, that she will follow suit.

I sighed in relief when I heard the angry click clack of her stilettos behind me, and her whispered "May you not regret this, Raleigh. And fuck Ara."

I entered the elevator, and waited for her, and for someone else, anyone else, to come in.

But no one did. I could only sigh.

Pinagti-trip-an yata ako ng tadhana ngayong araw.

First, it was the rainy weather.

Now, it's the two other things on my hate list -- my past, and corporate law.

//

z.