Chapter Eighteen

Mulai dari awal

But still a part of me felt uncomfortable and scared.

A lot of people would have been pissed at my statement and they were, especially the man beside me but I couldn't deny it. Forgiveness was so precious, it was like the pearl in the salty sea. Josiah didn't deserve all the kindness I had spared him but he was still human.

I didn't want to be the villain but it was also a step closer towards a future with no fears dangling around my heart and pricking every moment of joy with dread. I didn't want that. I couldn't do that to myself when I've suffered for years.

Forgive and forget. Or rather forgive but don't forget.

That's what I wanted to do just that. Josiah was young and so was I. We both made mistakes; I was left to clean the mess as he ran away but we had both payed. Who was I to judge whether or not Josiah had really felt guilty after running? How could I say he was lying when he could have been saying the truth?

How could I have denied forgiveness to a possibly changed man? Who was I to do that?

I was stuck with Aloura because I didn't want to abort and he could have stuck with me. At the very least, he could have helped me stand up for me when I was shamed.

But he didn't and I realized that I didn't need his help; not then and definitely not now. I was a single mother and I would keep my head high because I had gotten this far.

So I squared my shoulders and wariness for Josiah to come, wishing Elijah were here. He was a little busy with his restaurant and couldn't come even though he really wanted to. I didn't know how much I wanted him to be here until he sadly told me he couldn't come.

I missed him already.

Josiah stopped a few steps from us and I registered that all this time he had his eyes on me. Slowly, almost painstakingly he looked down where Aloura had caught sight of him. His eyes drifted downwards until they landed on the daughter he had abandoned.

For a minute there was no visible change but then his face changed and I could see his lower lips tremble and his eyes went a little glassy.

He leaned down on one knee and kept staring at Aloura, his eyes roving over her like he wanted to always keep her picture in mind. The sight pulled and yanked my heart and I knew I had made the right decision.

"Hi! Are you Mommy's friend?"

Josiah nodded and he brushed a hand across his left cheek and I was surprised to see a tear. He smiled gently at her as Aloura clapped her hands, "Yay! Mommy? Can we go get ice cream now?"

Josiah and I both blinked at her as she looked at us, with raised eyebrows. "What? You said I could have ice cream after meeting your friend. I met your friend, let's go!"

Josiah stifled his laugh behind his grin and got up. I looked at my daughter in amusement, ruffling her hair.

"You are one dedicated and stubborn girl."

Aloura crossed her arms and peered at me, "Everyone says I'm just like you."

Josiah burst out laughing and I couldn't help but join in. Everyone did say that but that snarkiness was definitely from her father. So as we walked to the ice cream truck I coughed to catch Josiah's attention.

"Her snarkiness is from you."

Josiah scoffed and rolled his eyes but wisely did not argue.

The afternoon stretched on and I was pleasantly surprised to have enjoyed it. After enjoying ice cream, Josiah and Aloura headed to the play area and I smiled as Josiah and Aloura ran around as Aloura went on all the rides.