One can never be too careful these days.

I rang the doorbell of the house and stepped back, pressing my legs together suddenly feeling the spring breeze stippling goosebumps on my skin. I looked down at my full sleeves beige t-shirt dress matched with dark stockings and t-strap heels. Maybe this was too simple?

Then I looked at Aloura who was admiring the flowers and saying their colors under her breath, her smile wide. She was wearing denim overalls with a light greenish-blue shirt underneath with white sneakers. Her lush hair was tied up into a ponytail and two matching clips stayed on her sides.

"Aloura," I said as she spared me a cursory glance to let me know she heard me, "If you want to leave just tell me okay?" Aloura nodded and straightened just as the door opened and Mrs. Winston beamed at us.

"Where is my favorite neighborhood girl?" Alorua screamed with delight and jumped into Mrs. Winston's arms.  Mrs. Winston laughed and I stepped in as she ushered us inside.

Her house was beautiful and posh. Minimalistic but regal-just like her. I looked around in awe and tamped down on my nerves, jealousy and sadness as Mrs. Winston gushed about how happy we came and how everyone was just waiting to meet us.

I smiled as best as I could, "It was our pleasure. Is everyone here already?" Mrs. Winston nodded with glee and I felt so happy she was as elated as she was, "Yes, they are! My dear old brother showed up as well. Only my nephew is to arrive but he'll come soon enough. He had an emergency at work."

I nodded politely and as we walked past the various rooms including the living room, play room, dining room and then approached the kitchen, I wondered where we were going until the large glass doors in front of the kitchen came into view.

I walked, stunned at the view beyond those glass doors which were opened to showcase a beautiful patio covered with a pretty big pergola. There was a table in the middle and heaps of food placed on it. Laughter and chattering wafted through the air and I stopped.

It had been so long seeing happiness and here, it almost felt like it was palpable. I glanced at Aloura who was staring wide-eyed at the small play area where a little girl and a little boy played among themselves and ran over the bright green grass.

"Come on, they've been dying to meet you." Mrs. Winston as she marched us outside. Aloura silently pressed herself to my side and I looked down at her, worried but she was looking at me with the biggest grin I had ever seen.

"Don't be sad, Mommy. Look, there's so many people! You can make friends too!"

I let out a derisive snort and pulled her close to me and embraced her. Her words were so naive and innocent but they also made me want to give in. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to make a friend or to.

The worst was behind me and I couldn't just avoid making friends just because of one time. And as Aloura pulled away, I felt that old spark that I carried everywhere before come to life. I felt my back straighten and my head rose higher.

Every journey starts with a single step after all.

"Ready?" Mrs. Winston asked gently as she watched us stand up. Her eyes met mine knowingly and I nodded with a genuine smile this time. "Yes."

She beamed at me before we walked up to the table. There were five seated people-two beautiful ladies, two men and an older man- with three empty seats which I supposed was for Mrs. Winston, her nephew and me.

"Everyone, this is the woman I was talking about. Meet Alyssa Caldemon and her daughter, Aloura Caldemon."

The table subsided to silence as they looked at us. I tried not to get the nerves the best of me as I held my smile, "Hello, thank you for having us."