We sat down with our cups of tea, sharing the packet of biscuits she had kindly provided me with. We talked about missing Leah, and then she asked about the Belfast proposal. I knew Leah had told her; she called me straight away, panicking about the fact that she had let it slip. I didn't mind, though. I saw Amanda as family—well, future family.

"I'm guessing you going to Belfast is a definite no, then?" She asked.
"More than definite. Absolute no. I really love Leah, and I don't want to put that distance between us again. I told Paula I didn't think we'd survive it, but the truth is, we probably would. I just don't want to." Amanda smiled at my words.
"I know you do. I used to run a business, you know."
"Leah said, why did you stop?"
"I was good at the paperwork side of things, the accounts. Wasn't so confident with the practical side." She laughed.
"My dad always said if he had someone that was good with the paper side of things, he would start his own car business; he hates working for other people."
"I hate it too. If only I knew a brilliant solicitor to start up a law firm with, eh?" She joked.
"Dreams would come true." I laughed.

There was a change in Amanda's tone; suddenly, she became more serious. She let out a slight cough before continuing.

"It was Leah's idea, what I'm about to say. Why don't we do it? Or at least consider it. You could deal with the legal aspects and the workload. I'll run the business side of things." She said sheepishly.

I didn't know how to decline her offer in a way that didn't seem rude. Of course, Amanda would be the best business partner to have. She was trustworthy; she had trust in me, and she was excellent at accounting. Mixing business with pleasure had never been something I was comfortable with, though.

"I'm really grateful that you would trust me enough for that, Amanda. I just don't know how business and pleasure would ever work. Long term." I said, giving her a smile to let her know I meant it when I said I was grateful.
"Think about it; talk it over with Leah. Think of me as an investor, a number on one of your databases at work, and your mother-in-law at home."

We dropped the conversation soon after this. I think she knew that this was something I didn't want to discuss further until I had spoken to Leah. I was worried that Leah was trying to protect me again, trying to ensure I didn't feel too bad about the loss of my job. Amanda left a few hours later, embracing me in a tight hug as I waved her off. Later that evening, Leah texted to say she was finally in her room. She had attended a small movie night in the camp and had complained all day about how tired she was and how much she just wanted to nap, so I wasn't surprised that she was in bed at 9:30 p.m.

Leah
Finally in bed, everyone is making fun of me for being old and in love. Did Mum call to see you?

Sophie
You are old and in love, but I am too. She did, and I really hope I haven't offended her.

Leah
Huh, why?

Sophie
She told me you two had spoken about her being an investor. I said no, I don't want anything to come between us, Le. No dream is worth that for me.

Leah
She wants to do it, she's always wanted to do something like this. So why not with you? Someone she knows she can trust, someone I know she can trust.

Sophie
What if I fuck it up, get no clients, she loses money, and I lose you?

Leah
Firstly, you won't. Secondly, you won't. Thirdly, you won't. Fourthly, I will be your first client if you can't get any others.

Sophie
You have too much belief in me. My first client, have you got a secret crime you've been hiding from me?

Leah
You don't have enough belief in yourself, that's the problem. No, but I will. If you need me to. If you need clients, I will steal a sandwich or something.

Sophie
You're too cute, Le. We'll talk about it tomorrow. I love you.

Leah
I love you, Soph.

— — — —

We did talk about it more than once. Our ability to discuss it without any arguing or even slight disagreement was one of the things that helped persuade me that it was a good idea. Amanda and I met again a few days later, discussing the money side of things and how to make this a legal business deal rather than a verbal deal between two family members and future family members.

With the aid of Amanda's funds, a business grant, and my dad, we embarked on our journey to opening our own law firm. Leah stayed out of it completely. She knew that I was worried about it having a negative impact on our relationship, so she promised she would act like it wasn't a thing, and that was exactly what she did.

We found an old office in the centre of London, and Rhys travelled over to put his days of being a decorator to use. He transformed it into a trendy, modern office building within a few days. There was a lot more to do before we were officially in business, but it gave both Amanda and I something to work on in the background. Amanda confided in me about her lack of purpose since Leah and Jacob had reached adulthood, telling me that this had given her something to focus on again. Hearing her say those words was enough to confirm that I had made the right decision.

By the time Leah returned home, we were well on our way to having a fully functioning law firm. Our family was reunited by the return of Leah, and our business began to unite in a separate venture that we had ensured could never come between us.