Chapter 51

You know what would be cool?

Well, there are lots of things that would be cool. For example, me winning the lottery, but except for receiving a million dollars, I could get paid in chicken nuggets and breadsticks. Sounds like a sweet deal right?

But that's not the coolest thing I could think of. No, the coolest thing would be superpowers. Imagine having any superpower in the world. No, wait. Not just one superpower. Imagine if you could have multiple superpowers. For example, imagine having the ability to fly and be a shapeshifter. Oh look, there goes Obama chasing a bird again.

Or being able to read people's minds. Yeah, I agree, that chick's shoes so totally does not go with her dress.

Or being able to transport anywhere in the world. I could go to Taco Bell...in Iceland.

But I think the coolest thing would be being indestructible. No one will ever be able to hurt you. In the emotional, mental, social, and physical form, imagine never being destroyed. From heartbreak, from bullets, from crazy axe-wielding serial killers, you survive it all. Imagine surviving a five hundred feet fall from the rooftop of a burning hospital building to land on nothing but the cold hard earth ground.

Of course, I wasn't thinking any of this when Cage and I were falling.

I wasn't thinking at all.

Before and after, I gave no thought to what might happen next. All I knew was that the wind was whipping past me and my eyes were closed. And when I opened them again, the first thing that came into view wasn't the glorious gates of Heaven but instead, the glorious white ceiling of a hospital room.

I sat up so fast, the blood rushing down from my head made me see stars for a few shocking moments.

I was in a hospital room. That much I could make sense of. IVs and needles dangled from my arm and connected to a rack full of liquids. Monitors blinked on and off. There was a steady beeping sound coming from my left. I was dressed in a white gown printed with light blue cartoon bunnies (it was actually kinda cute) and I was in a hospital bed with white sheets and a blanket over me. Propped up on white pillows, the flat screen TV was across from me and the door was on the right.

The white walls were covered in posters and encouraging quotes that gave me no courage whatsoever. What it did give me, however, was a lot of anxiety and a desperate need to get out of here. I hated hospitals. Didn't I just jump off one?

My whole body was numb. When I shoved the blankets off me, I could see several cuts and bruises on my legs. My elbows were all scratched up. Nothing hurt. I think I might've been too spiked up on medication to feel anything, and for that I was grateful. I reached up and touched my eyebrow, the one I burnt off. It had grown back now. Somehow, that small victory made me feel a lot better.

I wiggled my pinky finger. It had a little silver cast because I assumed, somehow through all of this, I'd broken it at one point. Dammit. Of all my fingers, I had to break my pinky. I loved pinky fingers. They were so cute and little. Little things were cute. Little puppies, little penises, little cupcakes. How adorable. Oh yes, I was definitely stoned.

Where was Cage?

That thought alone snapped me back to the cold hard truth. We jumped off the roof of a hospital building. I marvelled at the realization that I survived the fall. Or maybe I hadn't and I really was dead and this was all just a dream.

Wow. I thought the afterlife was gonna be a lot cooler than a hospital. But hey, no complaint on my part. I got free pajamas with bunnies on them and a flat screen TV to watch all my Netflix on. This was actually pretty nice. Just as I was about to settle back and enjoy never having to go to school again, the door slammed open.