Chapter 27

When we arrived back at Delia's, Cage was out cold. Nick and Heath ran out of the house, frowning. Heath had a cigarette stuck between his lips and leaned against one of the porch columns, not bothering to help Cage out of the car. He fixed me with a hateful stare, blowing smoke into the air lazily.

        There was nothing for me to do except watch as Nick and Micheal dragged Cage into the house. Heath was still standing there. To get inside, I had to pass by him and it wasn't a very preferable thing to do. But I wasn't about to stand out in the cold just because I was afraid of walking past a man. A very tall and intimidating man, but that was whatever.

        Bracing myself, I climbed up the stairs and tried to walk past Heath with a casual facade until his hand shot out and grabbed my wrist. 

        "Don't touch me." I tried to make myself sound a lot more confident than I felt. Heath scared me more than Cage did, and that was saying a lot. He was the only one I didn't interact with. After what happened in that car ride to Luna Lofts, a continent between us wasn't enough distance. Anger curled up in the core of my abdomen. "Don't ever lay a hand on me, Heath. You have no damn right."

        "Oh, shut up." He scoffed with annoyance. "You are such a bitch."

        "What is your problem?" I snapped, trying to keep my voice lowered so it wouldn't attract anyone's attention. I knew exactly whose side Cage would take if he ever found out, and I wasn't going to risk anyone's life under my name. "I haven't done anything to you, Heath. Remember that it was your boss who kidnapped me. I'm not here by choice. I just tried to escape before Micheal found me."

        "My problem-" His hazel eyes glowered at me. "-is that I don't trust you. I don't give a damn how much Cage cares about you. Not that he cares about you at all. If it was up to me, you'd be dead by now."

        "Wow. Mighty words for a man who takes orders from the king I have wrapped around my little pinkie. You hate me because Cage gives me more attention than you, don't you?" What I was saying was utterly despicable, but I had come to the end of my rope with Heath. "Because you have been with Cage for years and I've been with him for three days. And who has more power over Cage Vickers, Heath?"

        The smirk on his face was filled with suppressed fury. "See, that's where you got it all twisted, November. You have nothing over Cage. It's all an act, sweetheart. Cage doesn't care about you and he's most certainly not going to let a little teenage girl control him. Cage doesn't give two shits about anyone but himself. Can you really be so naive to believe that you can change him? He's too far gone to bring back his decency. He's playing a game with you and he's winning. It's all in your head, love."

        Heath pushed himself off the column and straightened up, fixing me with a look that made me believe every word that came out of his mouth. "How many times do you think we have seen this happen, November? You're not the first girl that's slept in Cage Vicker's bed, and you will not be the last. He's a player, he's a manipulator, and he's a heartless bastard. You cannot make him anything else. It's fun to see you try, though."

        "I don't believe you."

        "Your problem."

        "I-"

        "This can only end in one scenario, and that's you dead in a body bag." Heath growled. "Stick around and see. Or, you know, don't. The sooner Cage realizes he's had enough of you, the better for all of us. You are nothing but an inconvenience."

        What Heath said was probably true, no matter how much I wanted to deny it. I trusted his outlook a lot more than my own. He's known Cage for years. He knew who Cage really was. But Cage put up such a good act. It was hard to separate the truth from the many lies. I was at a loss of what to do anymore. Trying to escape didn't work, talking to Cage didn't work, and attempting to bring lightheart to situations only came back to bite me right on my little butt. There was just too many volatile factors to let me sleep peacefully at night.