Chapter 10

Cage was nice enough to lend me some of his clothes before we left. Unfortunately, he was so much bigger than I was. Standing over six feet tall and muscled up to perfection, my small frame was no match for his, just like his clothes were no match for me. In the end, I had to roll up the sleeves of his jacket just to see my hands and pin the waist of his sweatpants so my Superman underwear wouldn't be on display for the whole world to see.

I looked like I was drowning in a sea of very expensive clothes. Also, they smelled very good. Like...unbelievably good. It should be against the law to smell that good.

He laughed when I reappeared from the bathroom dressed in his clothes. I was still a bit miffed about the ice water thing (I totally had it coming, I know) so I stalked past him, attempting to give Cage the cold shoulder. It didn't work and I ended up tripping over the threshold again. Fern's eyebrow makeup had nearly washed off, so in addition to looking like a drowned rat, I looked like a scary drowned rat.

"November." Cage's voice was tinged with amusement. "Come here for a second."

Despite my better judgement, I ambled over to him. Cage grabbed the sleeve of the jacket and pulled me closer. He perched on the arm of the couch, nestling me in between his knees. I waited in annoyance as he began pulling on the strings hanging off the cuff of the sleeve. "You didn't wear this right." He said.

"You didn't wear your face right." I grumbled under my breath. Because of our close proximity, he heard and he chuckled. With flushed cheeks, I waited as Cage tightened the cuffs and adjusted the size of the jacket with secret buttons and zippers that I didn't even know was there. When he was done, he pushed me away gently. It was meant to be an affectionate shove, but I ended up stumbling over the threshold again which resulted in Cage apologizing profusely and forcing me into a hug despite my protests.

Micheal, Heath, and Nick were waiting outside, holding rifles. Heath ignored me as he smoked a cigarette, Micheal smirked, and Nick glared at me. He wasn't dead, at least. I waited patiently in the awkward silence as Cage walked out after a moment. He tucked a gun under his jacket and grinned at me when I gave him a hostile glare.

"Are we walking?" I asked, as we began walking.

"No." Micheal whispered, coming to my side. "We'll go up to the surface, there's a car waiting."

"What are we doing?" I whispered back. Cage was up front now, talking softly on the phone. I only caught a few of his words, something alone the lines of 'careful' and 'girl' and 'soon.' Also, he might have said something about toilet paper, but I really wasn't listening.

"Cage wants to meet with Jonah, to find out what went wrong last night. You see, Jonah was supposed to check the background of everyone that Cage gets in contact with. Angelo Martin was supposedly checked out of the system with everything cleared. Obviously, something was missed because Angelo was a cop. We're lucky to have escaped."

I nodded, questions running through my head that I didn't ask. Heath looked back at me only once and then muttered something to Cage, who glared at him without speaking. I saw Heath's fists clench tightly after that. I cowered behind Micheal.

When we got outside, it was raining. I was shocked to see Cage just walk out of the building. Shouldn't they take more caution not to be seen? What if there were snipers and cameras watching us right now? I could not be involved in this, dammit. There was no explanation I could give to anyone if they found me with the Crows. 

Since the building was just on the outskirts of the city, there was no one around. That was a bit comforting but also very unpleasant. Cage could do anything he wanted with me and no one would ever be the wiser. There was a long back limousine waiting for Cage. High status, high standards. That was the way of the Chicago Crows. Oh God, their name sounded like a baseball team.