Enter The Next Hall

I ask myself this question every day: Why am I doing this?

Why do I want to become a doctor?

To help people? To be recognize as a hero? To do this because it's what my parents want me to do? Or it's  what others view me doing I'm life?

Sigh.

I hate it. I hate living this life.

A life a books and knowledge; a life where I can't speak to the outside world; a life where my feeling are fraud?

Why can't I be normal? Why am I treated this way?

"Caroline," my mother calls me.

I snap my head to the bathroom door. "Ah, yes?"

"Come here, we have a special guest for you."

"Coming!" I remove the blade from my wrist and place it down on the sink. I look in the mirror and wipe my eyes. I leave the room and enter the main study, where both my parents are smiling at me.

Stop it. Stop smiling like that!

"We know you are getting bored with staying in the house all the time," my father says first. "So we decided to further your education with the doctor you admired so much."

My eyes widen. They can't be talking about –

"Dr. Hacker," my mother introduces a man that sits across from her.

I stare at the man what I only know as a name. This is my first time seeing him. Straight back, dark hair, blue eyes, and a face only a model would die for. Such a beautiful man beyond my imagination of what I assume Dr. Hacker would look like.

"Hello," he says to me but doesn't use a smile. "Your parents told me so much about you and I think you would be perfect as my intern."

"Me?" I raise a brow. Why would a man like himself be looking at a fifteen year old girl like me? I don't even have experience of my own to earn that title.

"Your parents said that you wanted to become a doctor when you grow up. I figured it's  best for someone to give you a little taste of what that life will be like. It'll  give you the chance to see if you're  really up to this. 

"Psychologist," I tell him.  He raises an eyebrow. "I want to be a psychologist."

"Caroline!"  Mother snaps.

"Now, now," my father tells her, "you said that she can be anything as long as it stays within our field."

"But this – this is dangerous. What if she deals with someone crazy?"

"Deal," Dr. Hacker ignores her. "I also am a psychologist. I'm sure you'll love of what I can teach you."

"Teach?" Mother asks.

"Of course I wouldn't take her with me now. I'll only take her when she's ready, but that's if she's okay with it."

Taking me away?

It's all I dream of.

"But she's –"

"Deal," I interrupt mother. I stare at her. "We agreed that I can leave once someone volunteers to be my mentor and since one has come then promise to let me go."

"Yes, we did say that," father says. "As long as you don't get hurt then we don't mind."

"Henry!" mother screams.

"She's right," he says in a firm voice. "After all, if anything goes wrong before she turns eighteen, we can cut it off. We are the ones who did hire Dr. Hacker, correct?"