Just Horsing Around (Jean x Reader)

[EDITED: July 15, 2019]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Y/N) slammed her tray of food against the wooden table as she swung her legs over the bench to sit down. Her friends talked amongst themselves, pausing to greet her. She smiled before quietly munching on her meal. 

The day had been quite average. She hoped anything would happen to change that. Abruptly, Jean stumbled over and leaned into her lap. He sighed loudly.

"What is it, Jean?" Eren halted his bickering with Mikasa to snicker.

"Don't you mean 'Horse Face'?"

"Shut up, Jaeger!" Jean lunged out of his recumbent position only to smack his head into the edge of the table. He cried out in agony as his head smacked back down into (Y/N)'s lap. Eren burst into a fit of giggles until Mikasa shut him up with a flick to the forehead. He glared at her, but she continued to lecture him about instigating fights. 

"What's wrong, Jean?" (Y/N) tried again to question his previous sigh. He pouted in annoyance as he rubbed his forehead. The lack of space caused the movement to press him further into her lap. She shifted in discomfort. Jean's head throbbed too much to notice.

"Reiner made a stupid comment about me!" (Y/N) bit her lip to muffle her giggles. His pout intensified causing her to laugh out loud. He whined for her to stop. 

"Okay, okay. I'm-" Her hand flew to her mouth to stifle her laughter, "I'm sorry! Do you want me to go beat him up?" 

"A girl can't fight a man's battles!" Jean careful sat up straight in time for (Y/N) to punch him in the arm. He yelped. "What was that for?" 

"A female is just as capable of beating the shit out of a male. You're just too prideful to admit it!"

"I could have phrased that better..." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck. 

"Damn right you could have." She feigned irritation. He summarily rolled off the bench and groveled at her on his knees.

"Oh please forgive me, (Y/N)!" The aforementioned girl looked away from him to hide her smirk. He began to repeat her name⁠— elongating it each time. The boys around them were laughing at his poor attempts to appease her, and his wounded pride began to rise to the surface. However, just as he was about to give up with a huff, she turned around and forgave him with a smug look. Jean rolled his eyes as he stood up to sit back down. She playfully nudged his shoulder, and he instantly forgave her too. 

Chatter resumed around them until a loud ruckus caused them to cease. Every cadet's head snapped up to view Captain Levi. They all performed a salute but dropped it at the sound of his dismissal.  

"Tch, you will begin preparing for the 57th Expedition scheduled to happen in the next few days." A few groans emitted from some throats. The captain quickly silenced them with a death glare. He walked out and everyone immediately cleared their things and filed out of the mess hall. 

(Y/N) walked out to the training grounds, lining up behind a few other people. Squad Leader Hanji skipped up to the neatly formed rows and began excitedly instructing them on what they would be doing. After she waved around a wooden knife for a bit, they all disbursed to pair up with a partner. (Y/N) gravitated toward her best friend and tapped him on the shoulder. He turned and dragged her up to their superior. The frenetic woman winked through her glasses before handing Jean the training weapon. (Y/N) giggled before pulling him off to an open spot in the field.

"You ready to have your ass handed to you?" The girl confidently stated while readying her body into a defensive stance. 

"Are you referring to yourself?" He smirked. Her fists clenched once he started charging toward her without even bothering to steady his frame. She quickly sidestepped his predictable attack. Jean's grin fell at that. He stumbled to a stop and swung his leg around to connect with her hip. Her arm flung out and halted his movement. He growled at her blocks. She fueled his anger a little longer to charge up her counterattack.