🕸 Justin Herbert 🕸

Requested by @x_multi_fandom_x

Title: The Same Heart I Fell In Love With
Warnings: None

—————

You weren't expecting anyone, but your doorbell still rang through your little home on a rainy Sunday evening.

The football game playing on your tv gets temporary forgotten as your mind goes to wonder who might be here. It could be a family member, but you knew they were all busy this weekend; your friends were the same way. Only answering the door would tell you who was here.

Your Chargers cup clinks when it makes contact with the glass coffee table and you watch it for a split second, just to make sure it doesn't tip over from how quickly you set it down. Getting to your feet, you move towards the front door, glancing back every few steps to catch a glimpse of the game.

You have to force your eyes away to answer the door. It's probably the mailman, you think as you twist the knob and open the door. You look straight ahead, expecting to be met by someone your height, but you come face-to-face with a broad chest.

Your eyes travel up to the person's face. A gasp catches in your throat and your mouth falls open in surprise. Familiar green eyes gaze down at you, joined by a gorgeous smile.

"Justin?" You breathlessly whisper, because you can't believe he's here. He's really here. You can't collect your thoughts; they're scattered all about. Your brain is on fire and chaos unfolds up in your head.

He deeply exhales, breathing a bit shaky. He's just as overwhelmed as you are, drowning in the many emotions bubbling to the surface. "Hi," he nervously mumbles, his bright smile unwavering. "I know this is unexpected—" He doesn't get to finish whatever he was going to say and honestly, you didn't care what he had to say.

For the first time in years, your arms find their way home; right around Justin's neck. You connect your hands at the back of his neck and pull him down to properly hug him. His arms circle your waist and he presses his face into your shoulder, eyes shutting as he breathes you in. All the tension leaves his body as you hold each other and you don't fail to miss the small detail.

The two of you stay that way for a long time, protected from the rain under your front porch awning, refusing to let go of the other. He has handfuls of your shirt balled up in his fists and you play with the ends of his hair, soaking up the moment.

Finally, you move your hands to brace them on his shoulders and push him back enough to look him in the eye, your faces only inches apart. "What are you doing here? You should be in Los Angeles with your team," you tell him, but the smile you're wearing tells him that you are much happier that he's here. "They're playing, but I'm sure you know that. I was watching, waiting for you to make an appearance."

Something changes in his eyes. Emotions you hadn't seen in those green eyes in forever clash like hot and cold, both loved and unwanted feelings breaking free from wherever he's kept them locked away.

You'd seen every interview you could find and every video the internet had to offer, but not once in any of them had you seen these emotions rise up and reveal themselves. Justin wasn't vulnerable to the world like that; only few got to see that side. One of them was you.

"Ribcage injury." He weakly smiles, patting the right side of his ribs and grimacing at his poor decision. "I can't do much of anything right now. And I wanted to see you. It's been a long time and I really..." His features turn grave—vulnerable. "I really missed you. I've been needing one of your hugs for a long time and I'm just so happy to finally get one."