Chapter Nineteen: Dunmer and Discoveries

"Put back the gold, or I call the guards."

A smirk forms on the lips of the thief, and a knowing look fills his eyes. "A feisty one, hmm? The guards won't do anything anyway, lass. Best to keep your mouth shut."

Erik mutters from behind the man, still holding his arm around the redhead's neck. "Fine. But you better give a damn good reason why you had your filthy hands in her things so I don't cut your head off."

"And have guards and Maven Black-Briar at your throats? Think again, lad. The name Brynjolf holds more power here than you think."

Brynjolf. Brynjolf. BryNJOLF! "Gods," I mutter under my breath and disregard the strange look I received from Erik. I knew that name seemed familiar! Ripping the satchel from my side, I dump its contents into the streets. Gems and other valuables scatter the marketplace, but I don't care. I have the most precious thing in my hands.

My journal.

I wildly skip to the pages of directions for Brynjolf and thrust it in his face. Although he's confused and mutters the occasional curse, the thief's curiosity takes over and he delves into the paragraphs.

The man's eyes flit over the words, and his facial expressions change from confused, to interested, to understanding. "Well, lass. It's certainly lucky it was your pocket I chose to steal from today." A chuckle escaped his lips when Erik let him go, and the man threw him an insincere "thanks" while rubbing his neck.

"So...?" At this point, I know I sound over eager and maybe a little desperate, but I'm this close to finding my mother.

He motions for us to follow him. Erik's eyes lock with mine, asking me millions of silent questions. I nod a we-can-trust-him type of nod and follow the thief.

We end up in a small graveyard. I notice a shrine off to the right, but Brynolf take us in the opposite direction inside a small tomb.

He seems to be looking for something. A dead body, maybe?

"Gods, no. My guild doesn't deal with the dead."

"Oh," apparently I spoke out loud. I move back a little more, hoping to give Brynjolf more room. Erik's hand touches mine, and he jerks away. We stand apart, rigid.

The thief sighs in relief when he finds a hidden button. "Ahh, I really didn't want to go through the Ratway." An earsplitting noise of stones rubbing together pierced the air. My face must be filled with disgust at the sound because he says "I know. You would think a secret entrance would be quieter, especially for thieves."

He moves aside a sewer cap, and descends down a ladder. Assuming we're supposed to do the same, Erik and I follow while the entrance closes over us.

My eyes adjust to the darkness and we find ourselves in a large, circular room. It is dimly lit, but I could see small waves lapping against the stone. The water must be circulated somehow. Hmm. A large bridge created an "x" over the water, allowing a person to cross to the other side of the room while staying dry. People of all races wandered through the huge area, but they all wore a variation of the same armor. Beds were lined up against the wall with chests beside and I front of them. A cooking area and a desk could also be seen. There was a shrine off in a corner dedicated to a strange being, and a Dunmer sits before it, her legs crisscrossed.

She sees Brynjolf heading for her and stands, dusting herself off. The Dunmer's head bows in respect. "Guildmaster," she says.

"Karliah," the apparent Guildmaster replies. "I have something for you." He motions for me to hand him the journal, takes it, and hands it to Karliah.

The woman skins through my book. When she finishes, her face rises with a look of shock. "It's.... you? By Nocturnal, I've heard so much about you."

On the inside I'm screaming. "You know my mother?"

A smile plays on her lips. "Ahh, yes. I heard of your father, too. Such a sad story." Her dark red eyes fill with genuine compassion and I want to wrap my arms around the woman in a hug. "You're mother did love him. Just like she loves you."

Hundreds of questions form on my tongue, and the first one pops out. "What's she like?"

"Magnificent. She's filled with utmost compassion and love for her friends. Every moment she lives, your mother longs for them to succeed in everything they do. Although she's shy and tends to hide herself from outsiders, I haven't met someone with a better heart than her. I was mistaken, and betrayed her, but she forgives me in an instant. Her heart, as well as her movements, are filled with grace and inconceivable motivation. Every part of her being is spent on her work, and she never stops believing in the most unbelievable things." I could almost see Karliah's heart swell with love for my mother.

"What's she look like?"

"Indescribable. A universe of memories can be found in her eyes alone. Her lips are often slightly open as she's constantly thinking. She has long black hair that tumbles in waves over her shoulders onto deep purple skin. In fact, you're a spitting image of your mother. But you have your father's nose." My finger moves up and touches my nose. It's streaked with dirt like the rest of my body because of staying in the wilderness for so long.

"Where is she?"

"Everywhere," a chuckle comes from her mouth at her "cleverness". "Of course you can see her. After all, you came all this way." She nodded to Brynjolf again and handed me the journal before walking away, expecting us to go with her.

I send a quick prayer to the gods asking that my mother will be everything I hope she is, and follow Karliah.

__________________________

Yessss! Next chapter finished! :D I really hope you enjoyed! I would've updated a while ago, but my internet is being unbelievably slow. I'm so sorry. ;-; Anyway, have a great day! :D