Chapter Two: Flashbacks and Faida

The world comes slowly into focus as I sit up, and an fire-like pain attacks my feet and legs. Ahh! By the gods, maybe I should have been easier on myself yesterday! I swing my legs over the bed and stumble out into the main hall. Hunger claws at my empty stomach, and I sit down at a table. A variety of foods are arranged in front of me, and my mouth begins to water with all the smells. The last thing I ate was on the road; too long ago. I choose a honker loaf and goat cheese wedge. I begin to chew on my food as I think of how I got here in the first place.

~One year earlier~

Dusk was walking home from The Winking Skeever. It was her first day as an adult, so she had a drink or two with some friends. She made her way to her parents house, Tellvia and Urthdis Velayn. Dusk walked in through the door and found her parents sitting sullenly at the table. Tellvia spoke up first. "Dusk, my dear, we have important news. Please, sit down."

Dusk sat down, and threw her parents a quizzical look. Her father, Urthdis, spoke up. "We need to tell you about how you really came into our lives."

She immediately stood up. "Father, no! Please, not this again! I don't want to think about what you two did to have me. You told me one; I don't need to hear it again!!"

Her mother's shoulders shook with laughter. "No, dear, this is something different." She took on a serious tone of voice and began. "I, in fact did not conceive you, but found you on our doorstep."

Dusk sat back down. She seemed very interested, and alert, at this point and let her mother continue. "We had just moved into our new house. It was dark outside and your father and I were preparing for bed when we heard a wail coming from the door. We checked outside, and found you bundled in a blanked. A journal was beside you. I scooped you up and shut the door. Your father took the journal and flipped it open. The he began to read it aloud."

From there her father took over. "I only read the first page. 'To the Velayns, I give you my daughter. I trust you will take great care of my daughter. She is special; unlike any other man or woman to walk this planet. When she turns of age, I ask of you to present her with this journal so she may make her choice of coming to find us, or forget about us entirely. I only ask one more thing. Call her Dusk.' I stopped there because it seemed only the first page was intended for us. Here, Dusk. Take it." He slowly handed her the journal and looked to Tellvia. She had a sad look on her face, but Dusk was to intrigued to notice.

She peered down at the second page. How can this be possible? She thought as she read the page. 'Dusk, my dearest and only daughter. I apologize greatly for not being able to spend time with you as a child. You are sixteen now, and are allowed to make your own decisions. Your father and I wish that you will come find us. He resides in Windhelm and goes by the name Baletis Rendar. I hope that you choose to go and see him. From there, travel with him to Riften and find a man named Brynjolf. Give to him this journal and he will understand. Brynjolf will take you to me. I love you Dusk. I hope you make it to me and your father.' Dusk looked back up from the yellowed page to her parents. "I take it you know what I'm doing, then?"

Her father chuckled to himself. "We figured you would be interested. You always were a curious little thing. Like the time you snuck into my room and stole my old copies of 'The Lusty Argonian Maid' series just because I said they were too old for you. Right under my nose too." Urthdis chuckled again. "Dusk, we know that this interests you greatly, but you have to be well prepared if you're to travel all the way across Skyrim."

She flinched and jerked back, as if hit. "By the gods! This means I'll be leaving you two and traveling by myself! No! No I won't do it!"

"Daughter, we love you. Yes, we will miss you, but that's okay. Your father and I can cope. We got along well enough before we came to Skyrim and you were delivered to us. I promise, Dusk. You should do it. Besides, you have to prepare and train and gather the necessities. That may take a while." Tellvia took her daughter's hands and gave them a reassuring squeeze, telling Dusk that it was okay to leave.

Dusk was conflicted, but her curiosity won, as always. "Okay, mother. I'll do it."

~~~

A woman, the same who led me to my room last night, startles me out of my thoughts. I at least owe her an apology for being so ungrateful last night. She begins to sweep the floor, but stops when I approach her. "Please excuse my behavior for last night. I was exhausted; I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful. I came from Solitude, and it's my first real journey away from home."

Relief spreads across her face. Perhaps she thought I was an assassin, or rouge bandit. I am dressed like one. "Ah, well that explains things. We don't often get visitors so late at night. Might I ask what brings you through town? And please, call me Faida."

I nod, thinking it can't hurt to tell anyone why I'm venturing across Skyrim. "I'm traveling to discover my birth parents. I think my father lives in Windhelm. But that's a long way from here. Have you heard any rumors about mercenaries willing to travel that far?"

Faida looks up at the ceiling, as if recalling everything she had heard in the past few weeks. "Well... I have heard of a Nord named Erik. His father won't let him leave, though, but if he does, he seems to be willing to travel with a companion."

Hmm. He seems to fit me well enough. Convincing his father may be difficult, though. "Where does he live?"

"I believe he lives in Rorikstead. Not too far from here." Faida smiles as I thank her, and I pull her in for a hug. Although she accepts the embrace, she gives a surprised squeak. I laugh and back away. Thanking her again, I dart to my room and begin to gather my things. I'll leave tonight!