Chapter Thirteen: Dragoons and Dunmer

~Two days later~

Erik and I approach Windhelm. The sun rises over our heads. We hadn't realized how close we were to the city the last time we stopped for camp, so now Erik and I are completely refreshed. Which means we can start looking for my father sooner. The walk to from the stables to the city gates is agonizing. I grip the journal in my hands, even though I've memorized every word already. 'He resides in Windhelm and goes by the name Baletis Rendar.' My heart flutters with each step.

"Okay. I can't do this anymore." I grab Erik's hand and bolt for the gates, flying past alarmed guards and confused. I nearly slam into the gates from excitement, and it's impossible to calmly go through.

I stop to catch my breath once inside. I look left to right, admiring the huge building made entirely from stone. Two Nords and a Dunmer catch my attention. They appear to have ganged up on the female Elf.

The man wearing a hat, his speech slurred and his eyes glazed over. "You come here where you're not wanted, you eat our food, you pollute our city with your stink and you refuse to help the Stormcloaks." He crosses his arms and glares at the poor woman.

The woman takes her side, and defensively, too. "But we haven't taken a side because it's not our fight."

The beggar looks to the hatted man. "Hey, maybe the reason these gray-skins don't help in the war is because they're Imperial spies!"

The woman puts her face in her hands, sighing at the stupidity of the two Nords. "Imperial spies? You can't be serious!"

"Maybe we'll pay you a visit tonight, little spy. We got ways of finding out what you really are." My face turns dark with rage. I let out a scream and stalk to the Nord. The drunk turns to me. "You damn gray-skin. Go back to Morrowind, you filthy piece of trash!"

"Watch your attitude!!" I spit at him.

"Don't like it? Too bad. This is our city. Ours! Don't think I can take you? One hundred septims says I can punch you back where you came from." His raises his fists. I throw my hands up much faster than him. No way a drunk can beat me.

He's a milk-drinker. He manages to hit me in the face- twice. It takes me three punches to knock the Nord to the ground and once more for good measure. The man grovels at my feet, begging for mercy. I snatch the coin from his belt.

I head back to Erik. He's laughing, I'm not sure why, and it makes me smile. "What?" What? What?! I'm such an icebrain.

"Just the fact you were mad at me for doing the exact same thing as you."

"No, it's not. He was insulting Dark Elves, which means he's insulting me." Maybe. "You, on the other hand, were fighting for no good reason. So yes, there is a difference." I grunt in his general direction before continuing on. "I say we go to Candlehearth Inn and try to find where my father is staying."

We walk up the steps and up to the inn. It wasn't hard to find. The building was directly in front of the gates, nearly impossible to miss. As the door opens, a Nord woman says "This here's Candlehearth Hall. Great room's upstairs, an' there's a bed for rent on the ground floor," without looking up from her work.

I approach her, but before I can say anything, she mutters, "Another Dark Elf. Just what Windhelm needs." I ignore the woman- I've gotten in one too many fights today.

"We're not here for a bed, but rumors." Most innkeepers love gossip, and this catches her attention. "Have you heard of a Dunmer going by the name of 'Rendar'?"

Sneering, the woman says, "Have I heard of him? That bastard thinks he can run his own inn and take all my money! Not to mention he supports the Imperials."

"Where can we find him?"

"The damn Gray Quarter running a sleazy hole in the ground called 'New Gnisis Cornerclub,' that's where!"

"Come on, Dusk. Let's get out of here." We leave the Candlehearth Inn, and follow the trails of trash and Dunmer. "I know I'm a Nord, a 'true son of Skyrim,' but this is ridiculous. No one should be treated like this, not even the Khajiits." My hearts grows warm, and I hide another smile. Leave it to Erik to cheer me up in a place like this.

We walk down a set of stairs and find continue down an alley, finally finding the Elf inn at the end. The door creaks open, revealing a dirty tavern. A man stands behind the counter, holding a broom.

This is him. This is my father. I walk over to him. We are about the same height; he's just a little taller than me. Our hair has the same color to it. His eyes look like mine. At least, I think they do. The only noticing noticeable difference is our skin. "Baletis?"

He was looking at me before, but it was just a look that said why-are-you-standing-so-close? His eyes flew open with surprise, and his head snapped up. "How do you know that name?"

"You're my Father. Baletis."

"Ahh, no? I'm Ambarys Rendar. Baletis was my brother."

"Was?" I can hardly spit the word out. My voice cracks and I feel a lump in my throat.

"Yeah. Was. Whoever told you he was your father was lying. He wouldn't look at a woman, let alone touch her. He bolted himself in his house, and at night I could hear his cries for the Night Mistress, whoever that is. Baletis wouldn't shut up about her. In the end, he must've gotten on someone's nerves for the last time, because I found him dead in the house. Helgrid took one look at him and declared it a murder. Probably the Dark Brotherhood. I say good riddance. He was too obsessed for his own good."

I don't have it in me to scream at someone again. Tears leak down my face. I hand Ambarys a coin purse and make my way up to a random room. Erik closes the door behind us and takes off his cloak. I do the same and carelessly throw it on the floor. I fall into the double bed, again?, and let myself cry. My tears wet the pillow, but pause for a moment as I feel Erik gently fall beside me. He wraps his arm around my waist. My eyelids droop, and my breathing becomes more regular other than the occasional sob. I think one last time before I let sleep take me, I'm so glad he's here.

__________________________

Yay! Thank you guys who've been reading for....reading. I've had a ton of views lately, like. Wow. (: I hope you liked this chapter much more than the previous two. Thank you again for reading. It means a lot!