Chapter Fifteen: Jarls and Jails

We stand from the steps and walk to the palace. At the entrance, I hesitate for a moment. None of the guards moved to open the castle gates. Instead they just gave me blank stares through their helmets. One even mutters about how outsiders shouldn't be allowed to enter. I ignore them, walking to the hulking doors. I push at them one, twice, three times, but the doors won't open. It's like they're frozen shut. Erik chuckles behind me and throws himself against the building. The doors swing open creakily. Inside, we are greeted by a vast room. Stone walls hold banners of the Stormcloak's color. Torches are placed strategically throughout the room. More doors led in opposite directions and a table filled with large portions of food is the centerpiece. We walk slowly past the table and towards Ulfric's throne. "It looks so... uncomfortable," I say to Erik. "I wouldn't be able to spend all day on that thing."

"It can't be that bad. Try it out."

I vigorously shake my head. "Nope. I'm already an 'intruder' here. Sitting on his throne won't do anything good for me."

If men can giggle, then that's what Erik does. "I'm gonna make you!" Before I could react, he grabs my wrists and pulls me over the chair. Then he throws me down and forces me to sit. He hovers near the arm, making sure I don't try and flee. I glare up at him. "So? How is it?"

"As horrible as it looks."

I didn't hear the footsteps- I was too frustrated at Erik- but I certainly heard the voice from behind us. "Then maybe you should get your ass out of that throne!! A burly Nord stomps up to us. His golden circlet tilts to the side in his anger as he grabs me by the neck of my armor, yanking me up. "And you!! Associating yourself with this filth. I expected better of a brother Nord." He shakes his head. "Guards! Throw the scum in the dungeon!!"

A Windhelm guard scurries to the man. "Yes, Jarl Ulfric! Right away." Ahh. So that's who this is. I should've known. The guard takes Erik and me away from the Jarl and leads us to Windhelm's barracks. The hallways are small and dimly lit. We have to move in a single file line through the damp corridor and pass through the guard's quarters. My heart pounds as we near the jail cells.

He stops in a large dank room with multiple cells to the right. After unlocking the two farthest, he throws us in separate cells and re-locks the gates. A pile of hay is in the farthest corner. I sit on it. A mouse darts away, started by my presence. If I were a Wood Elf, I could use my powers to influence the mouse and send it for a lockpick or two. But I am a Dark Elf, as I have always been.

The guards clomps out of the prison, leaving Erik and me by ourselves. "Great job, icebrain. Now you've gotten us stuck in here.

"You don't have to rub it. It's not like I was planning to get you arrested."

"You better hope so." I shake my head. "Now what? Nobody has ever escaped Windhelm's prisons."

"Once. That lizard did! The one with the black tail!"

Sighing, I think, Well, one, there are a lot of Argonians with black tails, and two, calling an Argonian a 'lizard' is offensive. "Gods, Erik, he was executed."

"Oh." I can't see him from where I'm at, but his side cell becomes quiet. I can tell he's thinking of an escape plan. I guess I should be too. I rest against the wall and put my face in my hands. If I can.... Uhh, no. But what if I.... Probably not. Wait! I can... No, that won't work. My train of unsuccessful thoughts are interrupted a groan from Erik. He seems to be having the same luck as me. Woah! Erik! Wait! I've just made plans including me! I forgot I have him here to help! Maybe... I slowly begin form a plan in my head, one that includes both of us. It should go flawlessly, as long as he cooperates. My body shakes with excitement and I feel my dark cheeks flushing. "Erik!"

"Yeah?" He sounds hopeless and defeated, as he should. Maybe I shouldn't let him on just yet. After what he did to get us thrown in here, I deserve revenge.

"Uhh, never mind. I just thought I saw a... skeever!!" I smirk and develop a new scheme.

~~~

The guards left us food. I must have fallen asleep because I hadn't notice anyone come in. Perfect. Now to set this in motion. I break off a chunk of cheese and set in near the bars. "Okay, Erik, here's the deal. For a short period of time in close range, I can talk to animals." The idea hit me earlier, when I was thinking to myself about the exact thing.

"But I thought only-"

"Nope. Any type of elf can do any type gift for a short period of time. Although we can do ours for longer."

"Oh."

"Anyways. Once the mouse comes, you need to start screaming as loud as possible. Then the guard will come to your cell, and I'll tell the mouse to run up the guard and steal his keys!" He begins to speak, but I interrupt. "No, you have to trust me!"

"I'm not sure this is such a good idea."

I laugh evilly on the inside. "Oh, it will work." Maybe not the way you want it to, but it will work.

__________________________

Okay, so thank all of you so much for reading. I know I say this a lot, but I really do mean it. (: I absolutely love writing stories and the fact that you guys like it makes it that much better. I redid the cover, (Although I still don't own it. Credit to whoever made it on deviantart.com.) hopefully you like it.

One more thing. I know I often mention updates, sorry. When I first began writing, I had a lot of off days because of the weather, but now I'm back to school on a normal basis. It's overwhelming, especially managing three stories plus drafts. I will still be updating regularly, but just once a week, now on Saturday. (Not this one, though. The only reason why I got a chapter out today is because I noticed more people had been voting and figured I would get another out there. I'm still on break, but everything should be back to normal soon.)

Anyway, hope you all have a great rest of the week!