“I see… For how long?”

“Five years of marriage, ten years of relationship, fifteen years of friendship.”

So long…

“I heard your name is Koon Hyun, is it correct?”

“Yes, that is my name.” His eyes dimmed a bit, she didn’t even remember his name. She didn’t remember him.

“We were a loving couple, right?” She couldn’t help but ask him an obvious question, still, she wanted to hear it.

Koon Hyun smiled happily and nodded. “You always enthusiastically shout that we are a power couple.”

Although he had always thought it was embarrassing, he wished he could hear her loud and proud voice again.

“... Was I that lively?” Did she really say something like that? This made her wonder what kind of person she was in the past.

“So lively. Lively enough to piss off the people you dislike, definitely.”

Cheong Hea was surprised and wanted to ask more but seeing that the man was reminiscing, she held back, knowing that she would probably hurt him more.

“I’m sorry.” That was all she could say.

She didn’t know if she had just imagined it but his eyes appeared to be wetter than before. He closed his eyes for a few seconds before opening them.

He held her hands gently and said, “Don’t apologise. You shouldn’t be the one to apologise, I should. I am sorry, Hea.”

What did he mean by that? Cheong Hea wasn’t sure but she only hummed lightly in response. Whatever it meant, she would just let the exhausted man rest. After all, his wife had just been in an accident and became amnesiac.

That was the new start of Cheong Hea and Koon Hyun.

Slowly, she got to know him more but at the same time, she couldn’t quite understand him.

Showing her affection, care and love... Why would he do so much for someone like her who didn't even remember him? Wasn't that just sad? Yet, he didn't care.

They might have been in a loving marriage, they might have been happy together. However, did the current Cheong Hea deserve all of that when she didn’t have the same affection towards him as he had towards her? 

Cheong Hea didn’t know.

Every day was painful to see him treat her like she was everything. 

But what she wasn’t aware of herself was that every day to him was as painful, if not more.

Cheong Hea looked at the man’s eyes whose colour was that of an ocean. She adored those eyes of his, they seemed to have a magical effect of calming her heart. They were probably the most beautiful eyes in the world. 

“I quite like your eyes. In fact, it appears that I like them very much.”

Koon Hyun felt his heart being gripped tightly. She used to say that a lot. His eyes were like a treasure to her. He was thrilled that her liking towards his eyes hadn’t changed a bit but a part of him was in pain that she didn’t remember him and the promise she made to him.

Cheong Hea, is this your game of punishing me for my sins?

If so, I give up. I surrender. You defeated me mercilessly. You win.

So, please remember me and love me again.

If he wasn’t distracted and got fooled, if he only listened to his guts, if he only came in time…she wouldn’t have suffered so much.

Oh, how he regretted his foolish actions.

Oh, how he wished to murder the person who orchestrated this whole thing.

Suddenly a pair of frail arms wrapped around his head. He widened his eyes and glanced at the head beside him.

“Please don’t be sad. I know that I don’t have memories of you but that doesn’t mean I will forget you forever.”

“Hea...?”

“Do you know?” She quietly asked before she continued, “I pray before I go to sleep and after I wake up. I pray every day. I pray that my memories will come back and that I will remember every single thing. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but one day I will surely remember you. So, don’t be sad and give up.”

Koon Hyun’s whole body trembled, he lifted his shaky arms and embraced her back.

“Mhm,” he only uttered, fearing that his voice would crack since he felt himself on the verge of breaking down.

Maybe he did, as he could faintly sense tears rolling down his cheeks.

I am so sorry, dear…for not being able to protect you.

●○○

This is only one shot for now. I'm working on my main story right now. I just had this lying around so I thought I might as well publish it.

I'm restarting my account. Please forget my past identity :) if you can't and figured out who I am, just pretend you are amnesiac.