Chapter 37 - together

Start from the beginning

Everyone in the crowd went crazy when the second goal went in from Lucy. But no one went as crazy as me. I don't think I stopped celebrating until the next goal went in. And even then I just kept celebrating. 

When we were 2:0 up against one of the best teams in the world, it really began to sink in that we could be going to the final of the Euros. This summer has been incredible and has just flown by. From Beth Mead's hattrick against Norway in a stunning 8:0 win to Ella Toone's last minute goal in the quarter finals. If the score stayed the same way, we only had one game left. And after that game, we would have either won or lost. I just hoped it was the first option.

The 68th minute rolled around and we were still 2:0 up. By the way the girls were playing, there was not a chance in hell that we were losing this game. That spot in the final at Wembley was ours. Standing up as Alessia had a chance on goal and sighing when she couldn't execute it. But then...she back-heeled the ball and it went through multiple people's legs and into the back of the fucking net. In the semi final of the Euros, she had just scored the most outrageous goal I had ever seen. That surely has to be the goal of the tournament. Unfortunately, from that point on, there was no coming back for the Swedes. They had been well and truly battered by the Lionesses.

To top it off, Fran cheekily chipped it over the keeper. 4:0 in a semi final. The girls had made history from the scoreline, the attendance and the type of goals scored. I was sure that I wouldn't forget this night in a very long time. No matter what happened in the final on Sunday, I was proud of each and every one of them for taking us this far. The journey I had been on with them has been truly unforgettable. Definitely the best summer of my life.

When the final whistle blew, I sat next to Millie soaking up the atmosphere. 'Sweet Caroline' was blasting out of the stadium and fans and players were singing along together. Leah looked so proud to be wearing the captain's armband at this moment - and so she should. She has led the team to such an incredible victory tonight, and hopefully another on sunday. I spotten Jordan Nobbs a few rows behind me and waved at her, to which she reciprocated. She was standing on the seat because her legs were so small while singing and clapping. I felt bad for her, she missed out on the  2019 world cup and now euros due to injury. I prayed for her that she would recover in time for the World Cup next year in 2023. Her and Leah were two of the most genuinely nice people I had ever met, willing to help you in absolutely any situation. Many of the players were also like that. I was so lucky to have found a home alongside such wonderful people.

As most of the fans had left, I was still sat in my seat. I wanted the girls to experience this moment together as a team. The last thing they wanted was a 15 year old tagging along with them. Almost as soon as I was thinking about that, Lucy came jogging up the steps. She sat down next to me and put an arm around my shoulders, which I removed as quickly as I could, "err...I don't think so. You've just ran about for 90 minutes and are all sweaty. There's no way you're getting all of your sweat on my new England top". She grinned but frowned jokingly at the mention of my top. I nudged her in her side and chuckled, "you still annoyed that I'm wearing Beth's shirt?". She nodded and I explained, "she purposely got it for me. It would be rude if I didn't even wear it to a game". She shrugged her shoulders, "I don't mind because I know you're going to wear my shirt to the final". I raised my eyebrows, "and what if I don't? I have something special to wear to the final". She groaned, "oh god don't tell me. You're probably going to turn up wearing Jack Grealish's shirt". I laughed, "nooo definitely not. Don't even bother asking because I'm not telling you. You'll have to wait until Sunday". She complained, "but that's 5 days away". I shrugged, "not my problem". She rolled her eyes and once again wrapped an arm around my shoulder. But this time I didn't protest. She made me feel things that no one else could make me feel. Safe, comfortable, calm, happy. She made me feel things I had never felt before I met her.