Chapter 2 - hope?

Rosie's POV:

School went by quite quickly for once. I was excited for football practice because it was a Friday and we always play a big 11-a-side game. I'm vice captain for the u16 girls at my school so when we play a game, I get to captain a side. Football is probably the only stable thing in my life right now but it gave me an escape from my hell of a home life. The only problem was that my parents didn't let me play. I remember when I brought up being interested in it and I received a slap to the face and "football is a man's sport, girls can't play".

As I was getting changed into my kit, Amelia came up to me and dragged me into the bathrooms. Judged on how nervous she was acting, I generally thought she was going to kiss me but as far as I know she's straight, and I'm confused. Anyway, she pulled out two slips of paper and squealed, "happy birthday!". She handed my one of the slips and I focused my eyes on the big bold writing : the lionesses take on Austria at the stadium of light! 05/12/21.
My eyes widened and I jumped up and down, clutching the paper as close to my chest as it would go. I couldn't believe she would spent that much money on me. As excited as I was, I knew my parents wouldn't let me go because they didn't support girls playing football. Amelia could tell something was wrong because she said, "what's wrong? You can't be busy because I know your family don't celebrate birthdays." I replied, "my parents won't let me go" hanging my head. "But you haven't even asked them" she pleaded, "I don't have to" I said with a slight laugh. I wanted to go so badly and I think she could tell because she said, "I'll get my mum to talk to them, you know no one can say no to her" she smiled and I nodded. She was right, once she persuaded my parents to let me come on a caravan holiday with them for a week in the lake District. It was the best week of my life, even if the aftermath wasn't so good.

Training went great. After Amelia's surprise, I had a spring in my step and I was megging people all over the pitch. I was racing past defenders taking small but effective touches. The game ended 4:1 with my team winning. I scored a hatrick and the other was an own goal from the other team in the 90th minute. We only managed to let one in and it was a penalty because I got a bit too enthusiastic with my tackling. My team joke that I'm the next Katie McCabe with all my fouls but I can't help it. I have to get rid of the anger somehow.

After the game we all went back to the locker room. I checked my Instagram to see the Lionesses had arrived at the stadium ahead of the game tomorrow. It was crazy thinking that my idols were less than 10 minutes away.

Coach had told us that she had some very important news to tell us but it was already 3.35 and it would take me at least 7 minutes to run home for the meeting with the social worker. I decided I would have to give the important news meeting a miss. It probably would just be an announcement on something fun we're doing next week because it's the last week before we break up for Christmas.

All the other girls were making their way back out to the field so I slipped out down the hall instead and texted Amelia : hi, had to give the meeting a miss, need to be home for 3.45. Lmk what important news it was X
It was now 3.37 so I was on target for arriving home in time if I ran.