CHAPTER - 6

The anticipation was killing us. The silence was deafening. Alice and I were in the living room. None of us could sleep, Damon and Matteo have been gone for about an hour now. Alice was staring off into space. I was checking my phone every 5 minutes, hoping for an update. I knew better than to call him on these missions. I just hope that all of them come home, safely.

I remember the first time I saw him one of these missions. Coincidentally, he was after Ceaser. Apparently, Ceaser was involved in smuggling drugs. It was a week after the embarrassing birthday party. He knocked on my apartment door, his team behind him, along with Matteo.

I was mortified to see him at first, but when I saw the others behind him, I was confused. "What's going on?" I asked. "Excuse us ma'am, we are searching for Ceaser Giovanni." Now I was even more confused. Why were they searching for him? I knew, they run a defense corporation. But Ceaser isn't a criminal or is he? Someone clears their throat snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Come in. Ceaser left about a month ago, though he came back last week for some of his left over things." I tell them, as I led them in to the living room. "Why did he leave? Did he say where he was going?" I told them that we broke up, Matteo was a bit shocked, rightfully so, I haven't told anyone about this. "Why did you two break up ma'am? Did it have anything to do with his illegal business?" one of the officers asked. I froze. Ceaser's betrayal was still fresh in the back of my mind. It was difficult to even think about it, let alone talk.

"I'll carry on with the interrogation, you can run along to see what the team has found." Damon pitches in. he must have sensed how tense I got. I smiled at him, grateful for his intervention.  

"Can you talk about it?" he asked, turning to look me in the eye. "He cheated on me." that seemed to be all he wanted to know as an expression of relieved calmness washed over his face. "That's brilliant. I mean, this way you wouldn't have to be involved in the investigation. But you know that you're a lawyer. Yeah. Uh, anything else you want to tell us?" He looked cute while babbling like that. "I didn't know about the illegal side of his business." I say, still amused.

Matteo interrupts us, saying that they found nothing and it was time to go. Damon looked at me strangely, then handed me his card, telling me to text him. It was strange. It almost felt like he was interested in him. The thought made me giddy. I nodded and saw them out.

I wish it were as simple as that day, today. I look at the wall clock to see that two hours have passed since they left. It's been two whole hours without any news. I look at Alice to see how she was holding up, only to find her soundly asleep. I sighed. At least she's getting some sleep, however restless it looks. I can't wait for all this to be over already. I want Ethan home and the fucker who kidnapped him caught. 

I know it's not that easy.I wish it were. But it's all wistful thinking. My patience is warring thin. I don't think I can hold on for much longer. Not if I don't get some news about their whereabouts and/or if they are harmed and if yes, how bad it is.

I know I shouldn't call them, I know how dangerous it is, but before I could comprehend what I'm doing, I've already dialed Damon's cell. "Hey love, we are on our way, home. Don't worry Ethan's safe and so are the other kids. We'll talk later." The line goes silent but that was all I needed to hear. I'm relieved to hear this, for now. I will be drilling Damon for details later.

It was about an hour later that the escalator bell tinged, announcing their arrival. The noise woke Alice and together, we rushed towards the foyer. As soon as they came into view, Alice launched herself at Ethan, hugging him, peppering kisses on his face and wherever she could reach. I approached Damon to check him over for injuries, thankfully there weren't any. I look towards Matteo to find him limping.