My body froze, what does he mean the guilty that have been proven innocent? He swore to me that he didn't fucking do it.

"Sorry, sir?" I questioned.
"C'mon. He was a drug dealer, dealing drugs to children in my area. That piece of scum got what was coming to him." He scoffed.
"So those phone records, the ones that placed you in the bar that night, weren't you?" I asked, trying to pretend that I wasn't judging him.
"No. Brendan took my burner phone to the bar and sent a few texts to throw them off the scent. We knew that using my own phone would be too obvious. What I didn't count on was how incredible my solicitor would be. I really must go now, Sophie. Thank you again, from me and my family." He shook my hand once more; my grip was considerably looser this time.

I watched as he walked away, reunited with his loved ones. Their smiles, embraces, and words of love made my stomach begin to churn dramatically. I rushed to the bathroom, throwing up the traces of breakfast that were still in my system from this morning. Taylor Biggs would never hug his mother again, never watch his pregnant girlfriend give birth, nor would he ever have a second chance at life like his murderer was about to begin.

The court had heard that Taylor Biggs was indeed a drug dealer, a victim of grooming by paramilitary groups that had made the young man feel he had no choice but to deliver the packages of illegal substances to their intended recipients. He was too afraid to get out, too afraid to say no, and in the end, he was probably too afraid to run from Colin Coyle when he beat him to death.

— — — —

My body was snapped out of this nightmare by the sound of two texts arriving at the same time. My eyes widen as I see Leah's name, followed by my brother's.

Leah
Are you still up for that lazy night?x

Sophie
Sure. See you when you get here x

Okay, so she didn't know. Yet. I would have to be the first to tell her; I had to explain what had happened. How do I do that? How do I tell her what I really did? How do I tell her that I'm not the person she thinks I am? That defending Colin Coyle wasn't the worst thing I had done?

I knew what my brother was texting me about; he was the only person who knew. The only person who knew the real truth about Colin Coyle.

Rhys
Soph, have you seen the news?

Sophie
Yes. What the fuck am I going to do?

Rhys
You cannot tell Leah.

Sophie
That's my only chance of saving what I have with her.

Rhys
If this comes out, you are a walking target, Sophie. We all are. Her included. If they find out what you did, they will kill you and anyone close to you.

Sophie
What do I do?

Rhys
Stick to the story. You didn't know who he was, so you defended him. You were shocked when you found out that he had tricked you too. That's it. The end. Please, Sophie, we will both be done.

Sophie
Okay, I love you.

Rhys
I love you too, sis. Always.

Fuck. Rhys was right; I didn't just have myself to think about. I needed to think about Rhys, Olivia, and my parents. They know where they are; they know where everyone is. They know who Leah is; I'd be stupid to think that they don't. Of course, they will have kept tabs on me.

Colin Coyle was the worst thing that ever happened to me, but what I did next was a decision that I made selfishly, a decision that I made without thinking of the consequences.

I heard Leah's car door close and her footsteps approach across the gravel. She put the key in the door, opening it after several attempts. Her body burst through the door as she caught my eye. Her face was stern, her shoulders high, and her back straight. Fuck.

"I'm going to ask you this once, and once only. Did you defend a murderer?" She spoke so sternly that I was almost afraid to answer.
"Leah, I - I - it was -" I couldn't make anything come out.
"Did you defend a murderer, Sophie? It's a simple question." Leah raised her voice.
"Yes." I spoke quietly.
"You selfish—you let me go public without telling me that you defended a man that killed a 17-year-old child? You have always told me that you only defended those you knew were innocent. That you couldn't sleep if you thought you were defending someone that had committed a crime. You fucking liar." Leah's voice was echoing around the house now.
"I didn't think that it would come out."
"England captain in bed with woman who spared child murderer months in prison, Arsenal sensation approves of child murders being freed, Euro 2022 cup lifter Leah Williamson is adored by fans of the same age as 17 year old Taylor Biggs, the child her girlfriend prevented getting justice." Leah began to list the headlines that had already filtered through the press.

I couldn't stand here a second longer, to say anything would mean that I would have to lie to her. I couldn't, I knew I should but I couldn't. Instead, I ran to my car; I left her standing in the doorway as I escaped her caring arms that begged me not to drive in that state. Even now. I pulled onto the motorway, with not a single belonging and headed for the airport. This London dream was over, my Leah dream was over, and in that moment I felt like my life was over.

Sometimes to protect those you love, you have to leave without a goodbye.