"And after that, take him to his chambers. The Duchess is rather fretful about his absence." The Duke's son said.

But I could swear that he muttered 'She should be happy about it under his breath. Wilford Esther walked away silently and rather quickly. Perhaps he went to console his child.

I sighed and led the Duke into his study. I carefully helped them to his seat and stood a few feet away from him. The man made uncomfortable noises before staring at the window.

"There should be a letter...any time now..." He breathed heavily and leaned back on his chair.

A letter at midnight? I simply nodded and stared out the window for a few moments. Again, I went back to my thoughts. What else can I do? I can not chat with the Duke like he was my friend.

I felt pity for his son though. Wilford Esther was a man far more loved than his father. He was kind to the servants and they loved him. This was very concerning to Duke Darwin Ester as he thought of this as a scheme against him.

He had only one son so far. His new wife was ageing and possibly can not give him any children. So speaking strictly, Wilford was the only legitimate child and heir to the Ester household. I will not mention the ones which are not legitimate. The Duke was a man with interests and strong virility.

The worse was he even encouraged his son to do the same once. By that time, Lord Wilford had fallen in love with his sweet wife. And after a massive fight between father and son, he never mentioned it again. He always scolded his son for being unmanly.
But I believe that Wilford Esther is thrice a man more than the Duke could ever be.

He would make a kind and responsible man once he gains Dukedom. But kindness does not last long in this world. Not when there is so much corruption crawling under our beds.

I was distracted when I heard the sound of a bird. I glanced out the window to see a fine eagle, tilting its head.

"Get that for me, Lian," I heard the Duke mumble. It's Leon.

Without correcting him, I was simply obliged to follow his orders. When I approached the window, the eagle gave me a fierce look before lifting its leg slowly. There was a small letter tied to it. I almost got pierced while untieing the letter. When I was done, the eagle made a slight screeching noise before flying into the room and drinking water from a water bowl, specially made for it. That bird was adored by the Duke more than his son.

I took the letter and carefully handed it to the Duke. To my surprise, he pushed it away and drunkenly looked at me.

"Read it," he instructed.

"Yes, My Lord," I replied. Usually, it was not my duty. And the Duke never asked me to do this.

Nevertheless, I opened the letter and read it absentmindedly.

"Duke Esther, the battle had begun. The troops are steady and prepared for the upcoming war. I need all my subjects in Erolasiv now. Maybe you should wreck some chaos in the castle for further distractions,"

What? I narrowed my eyes while looking at the writing. Who was this from? What was this 'Erolasiv'? Wreck chaos at the castle?

The Duke chuckled for a few moments. I watched him, unsure of what to do.

"His Majesty is too impatient for chaos..." He laughed and looked at his pet Eagle. "That lowly maid already wrecked chaos in the castle and got exiled for it..."

I paused, in horror at what I was hearing. I stumbled backwards slightly as the man went on with his madness.

"Are you...talking about the King?..." I whispered, folding the letter.