2. Messages in the Window

By the time Tuesday rolled around you felt completely cured of your fascination for Kento Nanami, smug with yourself when at 11:15 you offered him a friendly smile through the windows and went promptly back to your work. Some minutes later, a faint rapping sound from next door drew your attention. On his phone with one hand, Nanami held a white piece of paper up to the window, a trace of a grin curling the corner of his mouth as he continued speaking to whoever was on the line.

GOOD MORNING, the page read, all in capital letters.

You burst into a smile, your heart jumping up delighted. Leaning across the desk to pull a blank sheet from the back of the printer, you penned your reply, shifting your chair to the window as you pushed it against the glass.

WHY ARE YOU YELLING

He appeared to smirk, holding up a finger as he leaned over his desk and markered across another piece of paper.

THIS IS HOW I TALK

He shrugged unapologetic, and you laughed. You wrote on a second sheet, drawing a crude sun with stick rays at the end, and held it up.

Good morning, Nanami

YOU'RE AN ARTIST. IMPRESSIVE.

You snorted, printing clearly as you scribbled a longer message.

No, but I am a designer, and some of us are supposed to be working.

I AM WORKING

He pointed to the phone at his ear. With a scoff you threw your hand out, waving him away and sending a last grin over your shoulder as you wheeled your chair back to the desk. Minutes later as you worked, you realized that the smile was still there, still painting your cheeks high and bright. You swallowed it down.

Oh no.

Whereas the night before Sukuna had arrived home before 7, pulling you into his arms with a hungry bite at your ear and murmuring, "Is bunny still hungry for Daddy..?" tonight's 7pm came and went without any word from him. You texted at 7:30, then again at 8, finally breaking down and calling at 9pm, but still there was no answer. Yet rather than alarm, it was something else you felt... something niggling, gnawing deep as insects in your gut.

Suliya was hard to settle to bed without him there, even though you promised that Daddy would be home by the time she woke in the morning. She kissed her pinecones from the weekend, curling her favourite one against her chest when finally she relented to sleep, but as you closed her door you wondered if it was a promise you'd be able to keep. 

You waited up for a while longer, eating leftovers while standing at the kitchen counter since you had waited for him too long to cook yourself a proper dinner, then went upstairs and got into bed. Opening a book, the text immediately reminded you of Kento Nanami's ridiculous capital-writing and you giggled, snapping the book shut and banishing it to the end table just as quickly. You turned out the light, and soon—perhaps too soon—you were deeply asleep.

Waking to Suliya's voice from down the hall calling, "Daaaaaaddy, Daaaaaaadyyyyy," you flipped over to look at his side of the bed. Still empty. A rash of guilt burst across your chest – should you have worried when he didn't come home? What if he was hurt somewhere, or missing and you hadn't even bothered to call the police? What would they think? Worse, what would he do if he found out??

Dropping your legs over the edge of the bed, you went to pull on some clothes, realizing that you hadn't bathed last night without him there. One day wasn't going to kill you, you decided, dressing quickly as Suliya continued to call for Sukuna.