1. Captor

TW: Part Two of this story goes heavy into abuse, nonconsent, child endangerment, suicide, abortion, criminality, and occult magic. Please use your discretion when reading and take care of your mental health and heart above all <3

_______________________________________________________________________________

Sunlight stared in through the kitchen window as you peered out, craning your neck to watch the crew of greasy-haired movers lugging into the house next door, hauling armloads of furniture groaning, half-smoked cigarettes hanging precarious from their lips.

"Mama, more!"

You spun to your toddler daughter in her highchair. She pinched her hands together in a sign, pulling your your mind from next door. "Such a hungry girl this morning!" you said, forcing your excitement up for her sake. "More rice or banana?"

"More!" she repeated insistently, small fingers meeting.

"How about both?"

You ladled another scoop from the rice cooker onto her tray and peeled the second half of a banana overtop. Going back to the window after checking on the timer counting down, you continued watching the activity next door. While there was a green space with aspens and Hawthorne on the west side of your house, the neighbouring property was practically adjoined, with only a cedar pole fence and enough space for a single person to pass between on either side. From the second floor, the east windows literally mirrored one another; it had been so easy while the neighbouring place was un-let and you hadn't had to worry who might see into your side.

Over your shoulder Suliya happily munched on her second helping of breakfast. Still two minutes on the timer.

Just then a black sedan pulled in behind the moving truck, and you snagged your gaze widening onto the blonde, statuesque man that emerged, a tan suit jacket slung easy over his forearm. He approached the movers, saying something you couldn't hear, and straightaway the men stamped out their cigarettes, seeming to draw up taller. This must be the new tenant, you thought, aware that you were staring but somehow unable to stop, arrested by the authority of his body, his long, easy muscularity, his cool. 

"What are you looking at?" Sukuna's voice purred at your ear, his hand landing heavy over your hip.

You jolted. "No one—"

"No one," he repeated, leaning to look from where you'd snatched your gaze away. "New neighbour." He clicked his tongue. "He's tall."

Heart thudding, you resisted the urge to glare at Suliya for not warning you that he had come into the kitchen. Even a tiny noise would have been nice.

The timer clicked to 0, and reaching fast, you clapped your hand over it before it could utter a sound. Mornings with Sukuna were not a time for excess noise.

With practiced movements, you whisked the strainer of oolong leaves from his tea and dropped it into the sink, pressing a travel lid overtop and passing it to him in a single swoop. His gaze was still locked over the man from next door, his expression unreadable.

Taking the tea without looking at you, he turned from the window and went toward Suliya in her high chair.

"Don't touch," you blurted to her. "Remember, Daddy's dressed for work."

"Look at your sweet little pigtails," Sukuna crooned, laying a kiss over her bangs. "But Mommy did them so messy." Setting down his tea, he pulled the white elastics from her hair onto his fingers, reworking her hair gently and deliberately with his nails. "Isn't Mommy messy, Suliya?" There was a danger in his voice that you knew too well, a warning not to displease him.