Part 7. 'love at all'

Valentina's entire Sunday evening was spent trying to communicate with Juliana, but with zero results. Juliana did not respond to any of her calls or texts. Mateo had proven to be equally elusive.

Frustrated, Valentina had gone to bed. She had hoped that after a good night's sleep, Juliana would've had enough time to cool off.

On Monday, she tried again, this time enlisting Eva's help, but they'd had the same results as the day before.

When Juliana's profile picture changed to a grey silhouette on the messaging app, Valentina knew she'd been blocked from all of Juliana's social networks.

On Tuesday, Valentina had gotten up early to go in search of her quasi-girlfriend, but just as she was leaving her apartment, her sister had appeared. With an anxious expression, Eva announced they needed to talk.

The message Eva had received from Mateo was simple, Juliana wanted to start the 'breaking-up' process now. The deadline of their six-month contract was still two weeks away, but, according to Mateo, the purpose of their initial agreement had already been fulfilled.

While Eva went through the statements they would release, a void had opened in the pit of Valentina's stomach.

Floored by the news, the plan to reconcile with Juliana was forgotten. Instead, Valentina spent the rest of her afternoon crying while the photographs they'd taken together were erased from Juliana's Instagram account.

She avoided Twitter, sure that the fans were already spreading theories on the end of their relationship.

By Wednesday, Valentina was determined to make Juliana listen. She arrived early to Juliana's apartment, but neither she nor her car were home. Apparently, the racer was too busy at the track to answer any of her calls or messages.

On Friday morning, Valentina decided that Juliana wasn't worth the effort. If the racer wouldn't give her a chance to explain herself, then maybe she dodged a bullet.

By Friday afternoon, Valentina was climbing into a taxi that would take her to the racetrack. If Juliana wanted to end things, she needed to say it to her face.

When the driver informed her the track was on the outskirts of the city and the journey would be expensive, Valentina smiled and offered him the pink cap she was wearing, an autograph, and as many photographs as he wanted if he got her to the racetrack as quickly as possible. The man, who now realised who his passenger was, quickly agreed, claiming his teenage daughter was a huge Juliantina fan.

As soon as they arrived at the track, the chestnut leapt from the car. With long, determined strides, the corridors and offices went by in a blur as she hurried down hallways towards the track.

"Valentina!" Mateo greeted sharply.

"Hi," she waved, her gaze fixed on the corridor beyond as she continued walking.

Mateo extended his arms, preventing her from passing. "I'm sorry, you can't go back there. She doesn't want to see you."

"Well, I want to see her... Excuse me." Valentina tried to pass him again, but Mateo stood strong.

"No, Valentina."

"Mateo, please... I need to talk to her," she pleaded.

"What about?"

"That's between me and her," she explained. This was a private matter.

"Valentina, Juliana is busy right now. We have already started the break-up process; you don't need to see each other anymore."

The chestnut dropped her shoulders in defeat and leaned against the wall.

"Why won't she speak to me? She won't even let me explain!"