"You've all been assessing me?" I ask quietly. I feel bad about asking a question, but that hurts. I've loved spending time with Mrs Rose, with helping her. Ben and I are friends, and he's fast becoming someone I care about. Dr Roberts and I aren't as close, but I still don't like that he's been assessing me.

I'm so good with tests. I'd just have liked to know about it from the get go, so I could do better.

"Yes," he replies. He doesn't look apologetic. "We're all extremely impressed with you, Sang. You are an amazing, kind-hearted young woman and we would really love to have you as part of our team."

"I don't know what to say," I whisper. I really don't. It sounds like being some kind of spy, and that's not really a decision you make in a haste.

"Don't say anything yet," he replies. "I want to invite you to a retreat."

"A retreat?" I ask, confused. We've went from super secret spy organisation to a retreat together?

"We go camping," he tells me. "We introduce new recruits and potentials into the academy in this more relaxed way. It allows you to meet members and even join teams, and it's all more relaxed than a rigorous training camp."

"I don't actually understand what the academy is," I tell him. I can't agree to go when I don't even understand what the organisation is. This whole situation is strange.

"Sorry," he tells me. "Silly me. You've met Owen Blackbourne, haven't you?"

"Yes," I tell him, unsure of the change in topic. "He drives me to the hospital..."

He's part of the organisation. Has he been testing me? We've been becoming friends... and he's been testing me too?

"I'll arrange for him to discuss it with you," he says. "I have another appointment in a few minutes, and I think Owen could explain this to you better than I am. I'm butchering this explanation, and you deserve to fully understand what you're getting into."

"Okay," I whisper. Despite being a little upset, I'm not surprised that Mr Blackbourne is part of this strange organisation. He seems to fit the bill. He's always organised and prepared. Of course Mr Blackbourne is a spy.

"Are you free tonight?" Mr Anderson asks.

"Yes," I reply.

"Great. I'll get Owen to pick you up and I'll arrange for another meeting with you in two days' time, before Christmas break," he says. "Don't worry too much. I promise you, Owen will explain things."

I nod my head and escape, heading towards my next class. The school day drags, and I feel completely out of it. My mind has been focused on the academy, and what it will mean for me. I don't truly understand what it is, but I've been stuck thinking about all the possibilities—even whilst knowing that most of them are never going to happen.

Eventually the final bell rings, alerting us to the end of the day, and I grab my things and head for the car park. The crowd is bustling around, albeit thinner than usual, and when the cool winter air hits me, I smile. Mr Blackbourne is standing outside the car and as I make my way over, I can see someone sitting in the back. Oh no.

Am I keeping him from something? It's usually just the two of us.

"Hello, Miss Sorenson," Mr Blackbourne says, smiling his tiny millimetre smile.

"Hi," I whisper back. He opens the door and I slide in the passenger seat, keeping my head down. I don't know who is in the back, but I feel bad that he's not in the front seat.

"Miss Sorenson, I'd like to introduce you to one of my friends, Mr Toma," Mr Blackbourne tells me as he gets in the driver's seat.

"Hello," I say, not able to turn around.