13

Steve knew that he fucked up.

Big time.

Being insecure about his relationship with Tony was something he thought he could get over, but obviously he couldn't.

It's public knowledge that his boyfriend was a huge flirt. Whether it be a businesswoman, a journalist, his hairstylist, or a teammate... he was going to flirt with them. Steve doesn't know why Tony flirts with some many people. Truth is he never thought to ask him. He always swept it under the rug, ignoring the concerned looks Bucky would give him when his feelings slipped through the soul bond.

Perhaps Steve's insecurities stemmed from knowing he could never truly be with Bucky when they were younger. His soulmate was never one to turn down a date in hopes that it would avoid suspicion.

Unbeknownst to Bucky, Steve sometimes wondered if being outed would have been better than watching his partner date beautiful dames.

Which is how Steve found himself wallowing in self pity at a bar they would frequent in the 40s.

The building itself appeared to be the same as it was back in the day. The clothing, music, and style of dancing being the only variables. People of many different sexualities were grinding up against each other, something that made Steve focus intently on his Asgardian mead disguised as beer.

He's never been more thankful that he didn't have to watch his Bucky dance like this with a stranger. That he wouldn't have been able to stomach.

"What's a pretty little thing like you doing here all by yourself?"

Steve turned to look at the man beside him. The guy smirks and looks him up and down, making Steve's skin crawl.

"I'm not in the mood, buddy," he mumbles, scooting away slightly.

A warm hand slides up Steve's thigh. "I'm sure I can help with that sweetheart," he says, quickly smashing their lips together in a kiss.

Steve can hear his heart pounding as he pushes the guy off him. The guy flies off his stool, banging his head on the floor. The bartender dials 911 as Steve shakily runs outside.

"Please pick up. Please, please, please," he desperately whispers, fumbling with his Stark Phone and pressing Bucky's contact.

Bucky's POV

Everyone glances at me as my phone plays the Star Spangled Man With a Plan ringtone I have set for Steve.

"Sorry," I laugh awkwardly, sinking down in my chair as I pull out my phone. I glance at Tony who glares in return, but a pulse of panic through the bond has me answering the phone.

"Stevie?"

"B-Bucky."

"I tracked his location, let's go," Tony whispers in my ear before asking Stephen to open a portal.

"Don't worry doll, we're coming to get you.
Just stay on the phone for me, okay?"

"Yeah yeah. M' sorry Buck," Steve whimpers, trying not to cry. I hang up the phone as Tony and I step through the portal.

Tony—who clearly forgot he was angry at Steve—rushes over to him. We comfort him enough that we can walk back to the house, hand in hand.

"I think he's in shock," I whisper to Tony as we cover Steve with the blanket.

"Yeah, maybe he can tell us what happened in the morning."

"Hey," I cup his face, "are you okay with staying here or do you want to go back to the tower?"

"I'm okay. He needs us," Tony says, kissing my palm. He then leans down and lightly kisses Steve's forehead.

I think we'll be okay.