Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I nearly stumbled out onto the porch.

Stupid run down sliding door and its stupid ridge. That thing must have had it out for me, since I'd already almost tripped on it when I went inside the house earlier. Ah, earlier.

And as even more of a reminder, guess who sat in the seat next to mine at the picnic table?

Yeah, Tony.

I hoped to God that these people weren't going to become good friends with my parents. I didn't need this guy around putting even more of a damper on my summer. I felt vibration suddenly in my jeans pocket, and was snapped back to reality. Maybe my phone had finally picked up a signal here! That, at least, would brighten my day a bit. I looked both ways before yanking the thing out of my pocket and running out of sight. Me on my phone would not go over well when we had company over, I was sure.

Sure enough, my best friend Jenny was calling me. I pressed the talk button, once, and put the phone up to my ear.

"Jenny! Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you called! It's torture here without you..." I babbled on, not realizing she hadn't said anything yet. When I did, I realized the call had been dropped and she hadn't even heard a thing I said. I tried calling back, but just like that, the tiny signal there once was had disappeared.

I sighed, pressing a few buttons and trying to get to the menu to see if I could figure out why the signal disappeared, but then my phone was suddenly snatched up out of my hands. I looked up to see my father's serious face. 

Great.

He shook his head at me disapprovingly, and then he walked away, my phone in his hands.

"Dad, wait! I need that!"

He just kept walking, ignoring my pleas.

That's just great.

The only thing left to do now was go back outside and sit through the rest of this torturous evening.