Chapter 9: A Secret to Keep

Warning: Talk of death, dead body

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    “I’VE GOT THE KEYS!” Ringo blurted out as he entered the room in a hurry.

    “Nice job, Ringo. Now try and shush, if you can.” John said in a normal volume, writing something on a hotel-provided notepad.

    “What you got there?”

    “The list.” John answered coldly. “It’s all done. Just waiting for Paul to get here so that I can assign y’all your shit.”

    “...you’ve never said ‘y’all’ before.”

    “Well, things have changed. We’re down a guitarist.”

    “That… doesn’t have to do with the dialect change.”

    “....well, shit.”

    At that moment, Paul came through the door.

    “Couldn’t eat much but an orange. Coffee helps, though.”

    “Good. Anyways, I’ve finished the list, so here’s what we have to do today. Ringo, you have the keys. You’ll drop George off at the morgue.”

    “He can’t be buried here!” Ringo protested.

    “I’m sure someone’ll pull a miracle out of their ass and get him home to Liverpool. Trust me. Weirder strings have been pulled in our favor. Now, Paul, I’ve given you the hardest job of them all.”

    “And what… exactly does that entail?”

    “You have to call Hazza’s folks.”

    “WHY ME?”

    “Well, you’re his mom’s favorite Beatle. She’ll take the news better from you than from anyone else.”

    “How do YOU know that?”

    “Just do. Come on now, let’s all get dressed.”

    John and Paul moved to go to their room, only for Ringo to pull on John’s shirt sleeve.

    “What the fuck?”

    “George won’t have any privacy. He’s still out in the bed.”

    “...Ringo. He’s fucking dead. He won’t see you.”

    “That’s not the issue. The issue is if someone sees him. Especially Brian. If he finds out, it’s game over.”

    John sighed and went into his room. Not even 5 minutes later, he came out with a fitted bed sheet and closed the door to Ringo’s room. From the hallway, they heard John fumbling with the bed sheet, and then the bathroom door opening, closing, and being locked from the outside with a toothpick.

    Why did John have a toothpick in his pajama shirt pocket?

    He emerged from the main door.

    “George is tied up in the sheet, safe, and secure in the bathtub. Even locked the door for good measure.”

    “Don’t say that out loud! People will think we’re torturing him!” Paul protested before leaving to get dressed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    10 minutes later, Brian found that John, Paul, and Ringo were all in John and Paul’s room, sitting on the same bed.

    “Good morning, lads.” Brian said cheerfully. “Where’s George?”

    “Still asleep.” Paul quickly lied. 

    “We couldn’t wake him up. He’s practically dead.” John quipped.

    Paul angrily glared at John. Ringo fidgeted with a loose strand on his sock.

    “...Right. When George wakes up, can you let him know that Mal and I will be away in Boston for a few days?”

    “Yeah, absolutely.”

    “Great. You boys can handle yourselves?”

    “We can try.”

    “JOHN!”

    “What? Just being honest!”

    “Alright, if you say so.” Brian commented as he left.

    As soon as the door shut, they all took the elevator down to the lobby and waited for Brian and Mal to leave.