The Sokovia Accords

Start from the beginning

"Tony's back. And he's brought the Secretary of State with him, We've been called for a meeting." Steve said in a serious tone.

"A meeting? About what?" I asked with furrowed brows, surely this can't be good.

"I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it's not good." Steve replied

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The avengers all sat around a long conference table. At the head of the table stood the Secretary of State. Tony Stark sat in the corner of the room. I shifted in my seat as I waited for the man to speak.

"Five years ago, i had a heart attack." He mimics playing golf. "And dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life. Because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass I found something 40 years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

I felt myself tense up, I have a feeling I know where he is going with this. I reached forward and picked up a pen that was placed on the desk in front of me, absentmindedly fiddling with the object to try and ease my nerves.

"The world owes the avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes. There are some...who would prefer the word vigilantes."

There it is, exactly where I thought he was going with this meeting. I glanced  slightly to my right at Wanda, knowing that this meeting was the last thing she needed right now.

"What word would you use Mr. Secretary?" Nat asked him

"How about "dangerous"?" He replied
"What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals. Who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose."

I felt a rush of mixed feelings, part of me felt guilty that we have been so careless while trying to save people. Another part of me felt frustrated, I didn't choose to be an "enhanced individual" and all I want to do now is help people. What else can I do with these powers? If I don't do anything then what is the point in having them.

"And who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind." He continued

I felt even more frustration wash over me at his statement, knowing just how torn up about the aftermath of battles my teammates and I felt. The nightmares and the guilt of those we have or could have harmed. The people who we couldn't save. I had spent too many nights screaming myself awake to be called unconcerned by someone who didn't understand.

"New york." The secretary had pulled up a video on the screen of the battle of New York, against Loki and his army. There was the sound of people screaming in the background as the hulk crashed into the side of a building.

I remember that day clearly. I was sat in with my parents in their home, watching the news with my heart in my throat. I had wished that I could do something to help, I guess you really do have to be careful with what you wish for.

"Washington DC." Another video of three large planes of fire in the sky and then crashing into the ground. I only heard about what had happened from Steve, Sam and Nat. Apparently that was the time when Steve found out that Bucky was still alive.

"Sokovia." A place I remember all too well. I remember being held there. The torture that I was forced to endure. but I also remember that battle. The first time I fought with the avengers against ultron and his army. I was unprepared and terrified.

A video is pulled up of the city flying up to the sky, of people running in terror. Seeing all of those clips made me feel saddened and also guilty. It reminded me of all the people that we couldn't save, and of the people who lost their homes. I know that we can't save everyone, but it doesn't make it any easier.