68 Under the Weather, On the Sea

Start from the beginning

The drama queen knew she'd be in trouble if she stayed, so she rushed out the door.

"Are you okay, Paul? Are you dying?"

He laughed at the notion. "How gullible can you get, Girlie. I'm not dying. Eevee was just being dramatic. I woke up feeling a little dizzy is all. Just checked my temperature, too. Look." He presented the thermometer. "I'm perfectly fine."

"102 degrees?! You might as well be dying!!"

"I'm fine. Probably just a fever—achoo!" He paused to wipe his nose on a tissue, tossing it into a wastebasket filled with more tissues. "Though I suppose I don't ever sneeze this much."

"That means you're sick, Paul! You're definitely not fine!"

"Would you quit whining please?"

"Not until you're better! Come on! You're going back to bed. It's no wonder you've been so sleepy today. You have a cold, and your body is trying to fight it off."

He wanted to argue, but another sneeze scrambled his brain. Thus, he obeyed.

"This sucks," Paul grumbled while climbing under the sheets. "I never get sick."

"Maybe it's from our little adventure yesterday?" I stepped over to the bathroom to soak a rag in hot water. Returning promptly, I tucked the blankets around Paul and then applied the rag to his forehead. "It was super cold in those caves after all."

"If that were the case, you should be the one with a cold. You're the one who fell into the water."

"Yeah," my face turned red, "and then someone did everything he could to keep me warm, remember?"

Paul's chin dipped down. "Righ—" To my horror, he sneezed again.

Once.

Twice.

Three times in a row!

My heart broke at his pained expression and the way he collapsed against the pillows.

"Well, forget how you got sick," I chirped, continuing to apply the wet rag to his forehead. "Let's just focus on you getting better, and I promise to do everything I can to help. Keep this against your head. It should bring your fever down."

He took the cloth. "I can take care of myself, you know."

"What? Do you expect me to just relax and enjoy myself in the meantime?"

"Yes."

I shook my head. "Not a chance. This is supposed to be our trip, don't you remember? We can't enjoy it together if one of us is bedridden. Frankly, I don't mind, anyways. I hate seeing people sick, so I'm going to take care of you whether you like it or not."

"Rosa, this isn't necessary."

"Yes, it is. I'm not going to let you suffer alone. You might be the reason I'm not the sick one today, so I have to show my gratitude somehow."

"You implying you're paying a debt because that's stupid–?"

"You're stupid, now zip it!" I shoved the thermometer back into his mouth. "This isn't a debt. I just want to see you better. Honest. Watch your temperature and keep that rag against your head. I'm going to the dining hall to grab lunch."

"I don't need your help, Girlie." His face made the cutest pout.

"Yes, you do." I summoned Seel from her Poké Ball. "Stay here with Paul and make sure he doesn't go anywhere but the bathroom. Got it?"

She stretched out across Paul's lap.

"I'll be back."

After I closed the door, Paul gave a great big huff and sulked like a child. He knew that I'd keep him confined to the bed for the rest of the day, and he hated that. It made him feel grounded. Not to mention the young pup napping across his legs.