Ten - "Just had to say so."

Start bij het begin

"Not a bad idea, yours I'm guessing?" I turned towards her fully. 

"It was actually." She shrugs. I look at her face, she was anything but nonchalant, she was cocky. Knew she was smart. "I was Erudite before I was Abnegation." I chuckled slightly. 

"I'm not the kind of person who can vouch for how faction children turn out, I mean I was Amity, I'm now Dauntless-"

"Factionless, you're now factionless." My eyes narrowed as I watched the taller woman. 

"Doesn't take an Erudite to figure that out." I relaxed again and placed my hands into my pockets. "So, you left Erudite? Academics not your place?" I wanted to leave this conversation far behind, but I hated how I knew so little about her. 

"You could say that." She went quiet for a minute. "I did have a knack for building though, actual buildings, but I suppose I have a knack for building armies too." I smirked. She doesn't have anything on me. 

"I suppose you do, seems to be the Erudite way." She clicked her tongue. 

"Yes, and it will soon be the Eaton way." I glared. "Tobias will help me you know. I know you don't like me much, but I'm his mother, and you-" 

"Mother is a funny word to use. I wouldn't use it for a woman who abandons their children." 

"Isn't that what your mother done? When she talked to the newspaper. Tell me, did she show up for family day?" Evelyn laughed lightly as I didn't say anything. "Your mother isn't any better." 

"Yeah, she's not. But again, it doesn't take an Erudite to realise that."

"I am trying to fix things with my son Y/n. Remember you are temporary, I am permanent, you'll do best if you stay out of my way... and his." 

"Or what?" I walked up to her, she looked down towards me. "You gonna send your husband after me? I hear he knows how to throw a punch." I turned on my heel and walked away, making it seem as if I had a place to go. 

"Y/n!" I looked over and saw Tris waving me over to her, Caleb and Susan. 

"Yo." I sat down, Tris passing me peanut butter. 

"Caleb and Susan are going to the Abnegation headquarters to check on everyone, I'm going to Candor, want to join one of us?" I immediately chose Candor, my only thoughts being that of finding Christina, I wonder if she knows about Will yet? "Great." Tris went quiet and scooted closer to me. "What did Evelyn want?" I chuckled slightly. 

"Don't worry about it."

"I don't like her." 

"Neither do I." I looked over at the men's bathroom as Tobias comes out, his red shirt replaced with a black one, and his hair slightly dripping. For a moment I think about telling him the conversation I had with Evelyn. But I now knew a little about Evelyn, she is manipulative, cocky, knows how to make people believe what she wants them to believe. If I tell Tobias and he confronts her, it will turn back on me. I looked over my shoulder and saw Evelyn leaning on a wall, already looking at me. 

She wants me to tell him. I shake my head and look back at Tobias. "Let's go." I patted Tris on the back. 

The Candor headquarters are giant, no other way to explain it. I looked at the building, feeling small, imagining if it toppled over, how far would I have to run? Until I was breathless surely. There was a sign that read Merc is Mart, It used to read Merchandise Mart, but everyone called it the Merciless Mart, the Candor were truthful and they never held back with telling you what they thought. 

Tris, Tobias and I stopped at the doors, how far would I have to run just to escape the doors? I look at myself in the glass doors. The sink bath done more than I had expected it to, any giant clumps of dirt or blood had all been rubbed off, only leaving stains. My hair was a mess, and suddenly I was wishing to be back in Four's room, when he would throw me a hairbrush. 

I looked at my feet and ran my hands through my hair. I felt a crushing weight on my chest as I thought, we were factionless now we didn't have to do any of this, Tobias and I could let them sort this mess and just be together. We hadn't talked about the conversation he had with Evelyn last night, and I doubt he planned to, but he was so determined to get to Candor that I now had a small voice in my head saying Evelyn was right. 

I walk through the doors, I didn't need to, I could have walked away. I don't know why I did, because whatever Tobias does I do, even if I don't agree with it. Why do I do that? Maybe there is a slight belief of true safety in my mind, but nowhere is safe for me, I'm divergent... I'm a lovely little experiment, I grew up being a meal for the power-hungry. Something so against the rules and something that could lead more experiments to completion. 

I look at myself in the glass one more time. Would that be so bad? I wouldn't have to be out here anymore, probably sit in a cell, do what they want and they might grant me a mercy death. But I want to live don't I? No I want to survive, and it's becoming tiring. 

The opening hall was beautiful, lit well, and just overall humongous. The hall has black flooring that drags back to the elevator bank, a ring of white marble tile in the middle of the floor made a set of unbalanced scales, the insignia of Candor. The floor was also bustling with armed Dauntless. 

"Just like home." I mumbled as a woman, barrel focused on Tobias, walked up to us.  

"Identify yourselves." She's young. 

"Four. And this is Tris and-" 

"Y/n." I continued to look around the room as I mumbled my name. "We're all Dauntless." The girls eyes widened as she looked around. 

"A little help here." My eyebrows furrowed. I watched as more people started to walk towards us. I felt the coldness of the gun I had forgotten was in my waistband, I brought my hand up and aimed at the girl. Her barrel turned on me along with six others. 

"Y/n." Tobias hissed at me. 

"I guess I don't have to ask if you're armed." My eyes flicked to a person re-adjusting his gun. 

"Move and you drop." 

"Y/n put the goddamn gun down." 

"Not until I found out why theirs's are raised." Tobias run his hands down his face as he grabs his gun and Tris grabs her knife, they both place them on the floor and kick them over, placing their hands to the back of their heads. 

"We were told to arrest you on arrival." My eyebrow raised. I shrugged, letting my grip drop, the gun swinging on my finger. I put my hand out to a guy on my right. 

"Just had to say so." The man is hesitant to take the gun, as if I would manage to shoot him anyway. The gun gets removed from my hand. 

1984 words.