Chapter 2

"What did happen between them?" asked Merry.

"Nothing, but that's the problem."

"All had turned to vain ambition. He would use even his grief as a cloak! A thousand years this city has stood and now at the whim of a madman it will fall! And the white tree, the tree of the King will never bloom again." boomed Gandalf as he was angrily stomping away from the castle and the childish Steward.

Y/n stopped listening to the conversation soon after that, while Gandalf was droning on about the decay of Minas Thirith and the oncoming war the pirate found her thoughts constantly swimming back to a certain blond elf and guilt would settle in her stomach once more. Or maybe she was just hungry. Yes, that had to be it.

A pirate doesn't feel guilt.

She was just misinterpreting this feeling.

"Well; Minas Thirith, very impressive." ripped Pippins voice her out of her thoughts. "So where are off to next?"

"Oh, it's too late for that Peregrin. There's no leaving this city. Help must come to us." said Gandalf and a heavy sigh left y/n's lips.

"Why must I always join the losing battles? Can't I, only once, join an already won battle?"

Gandalf gave a hearty laugh in response.

Y/n was in a Room of the castle alone with Gandalf while Pippin was somewhere with one of the soldiers to show him his new duties.

The pirate was sitting on a lavish upholstered chair twirling her sheathed blade mindlessly between her fingers.

Her tranced state was interrupted by a soft chuckle coming from the white-haired wizard. Blinking she looked up and tilted her head in curiosity.

"Come." giggled Gandalf "Come, look at this."

Without much hurry walked the woman over to the window he was looking out off.

"Do you see that child, and the small cat over there." he spoke and pointed to the grounds beneath them. There she saw a young child with tangled brown hair and a red cat trying to escape her small, sticky fingers.

"It's trying so hard to get away from the child, even though all she wants to do is love it. I wonder why." his tone drifted of as y/n furrowed her brows.

"Are you trying to tell me something wizard?"

Again, Gandalf laughed calmly and brought a freshly lit pipe to his lips.

"Nothing of course. At least nothing that youre not already thinking about."

The pirate scoffed.

"For your information, Im not running from anything, ever."

"As I recall you said that a pirate fight to run away and runs away to fight."

"Don't use my own words against me, thats not fair! Besides I'm not running away from him I'm just... choosing to be somewhere that he is not."

"And why is that?"

Y/n looked away pretending not to have heard the old man next to her.

"Running away always is the easiest thing to do, until you realize that youre not escaping your problems, you're just letting them collect in a puddle until it flows over and isn't just a puddle anymore but has grown into an ocean while you werent watching. A vicious black ocean dragging you down with no way of escape."

Y/n rolled her eyes but also nervously bit the inside of her lips.

"I'm a sailor Gandalf. I don't fear the ocean. It's in my blood. So even if it means my lonely and gruesome death. I will return to it."

"If you must return you can but you don't have to be alone while doing so."

A thoughtful silence settled between the two off them. Just as the wizard opened his mouth to say something else the door swung open and Pippin busted in.

Gandalf immediately started grumbling under his breath.

"Foolish little hobbit, always finds where and when he's least needed."

Pippin was looking a little pale and was followed by the same man that had shown him around before. The soldier dropped some heavy sounding clothes and chain mail along with a small sword onto one of the beds standing in the room and then quickly excused himself before disappearing through the door again.

Y/n leaned against the bed post watching the young hobbit look through his new clothes as Gandalf remained at the window smoking his pipe.

"So, I imagine this is just a ceremonial position." spoke Pippin his voice sounding a little shaky as he picked up the sword, looking at it before putting it down again. "I mean, they dont actually expect me to do any fighting, do they?" fearfully he looked over to Gandalf but when he didn't turn, he gazed at y/n instead.

"Youre in the service of the steward now. Youll have to do as you are told Peregrin Took." he spoke before interrupting himself with a fit of coughs. Pippin quickly sprung to his side pouring him a goblet of water.

"Ridiculous Hobbit! Guard of the Citadel!" he continued between coughs.

Y/n too appeared by his side but only took the pipe out of his hands earning her a raised brow by the wizard.

"Middleearthians seem to have a big problem with polluting their lungs. Though who am I to judge bad habits" she spoke white tapping out the Tabaco against the stone window still. The wizard chuckled raspyly before taking the goblet offered to him by the hobbit.

"Thank you." he spoke while coughing, and placing a hand on the young man's shoulder.

Y/n walked away from the two to lay atop one of the beds, ignoring the two males ongoing conversation as she boredly stared at the painted ceiling.

~~~^~~~

Aragon was perched on an old wooden bench eyes cast in the direction in which there lies Gondor waiting for a sign of his comrades.

A sudden warmth next to him was all that alerted him of the blond elven prince that had sat down next to him as he had not previously noticed him due to his silent steps and movement.

The two sat in silence for a while before Aragorn chose to speak.

"Ui-mín emel's padad ed- haer-o mín bodui's." (We are both men whose hearts walk outside their bodies)

"Ceri- cin thain hain na rinn- na ammen?" (Do you think that they will return to us)

"Na ped- yer na- na lié, Hoa tur- cin estel ú- a emel" (To say yes is to lie, how can you hope without a heart?)

"She said to stay with me would be her worst nightmare." whispered the elf still haunted by her cruel words. Her scream still echoing in his ears as well as her lips still burning his.

Blue pity filled eyes gazed at his elven friend.

"Words said in anger are never true." He tried to console.

"Things unthought cannot be spoken." countered the elf.

The Ranger looked over to him viewing his hopeless features.

"When the dust settles the way is clear. Till then we must endure."

~~~^~~~^~~~^~~~^^~~~^~~~^~~~^~~~

Suprise! I'm not dead!
Missed me?

I had a lot of work and stuff. (Give a pat on the back to everyone you know that works in a hospital. It's so very exhausting...)

I feel like you must think my life is all over the place (because it is ;) ) cuz everytime I update I do something entirely different than what I did in the previous chapter. Life is wierd man.
Hope you're enjoying yours!

:)

~1241 words