Secrets that are less secret at Montes Secreta

(The Acnologia spoken about in this story is the Guardian dragon of Montes Secreta. Not the dragon slayer one that is one of the main antagonists who is referred to as Doctor or Rowan Redfox)

Acnologia had seen a lot in his time being a guardian. He was used to picking out smells of anything that would approach the mountains that belong to the humans. Which was why when a new dragon smell hit him, he was on alert. There were very few dragons who knew of these mountains and the town that lay below. All those that did who had ill intent knew to stay away or face his wraith. But this dragon had the gall to approach. Acnologia got to his feet, scanning the surrounding mountains. The clouds around one of the further peaks had been brought into a frenzy. That must be where the dragon had landed. He focused on the mountain, meticulously examining each tiny movement. 

"Where are you?" his tail thumped against the rocks. Finally a glimpse of silver caught the light. A snarl bubbled up in his throat. Silver scales were very common amongst metal users. An iron dragon would be a problem as they were well known for having thick skin. He leaned forward, wings spread in preparation to attack this intruder. Then the clouds cleared further. There was a human. He squinted his eyes but he couldn't recognise the human with the hood in the way. The dragon leaned down, nuzzling into the human. Acnologia stepped back, huffing. The dragon transformed into a smaller, humanesque form and allowed the other human to lead them down the mountain path towards the village. He sat down with a heavy thump. He supposed this dragon could be given the pass so long as it didn't cause too much harm.

---

The next time Acnologia caught that scent was a shock to him. As expected the doctor had climbed his way up the mountain for another weekly check-up. There was nothing amiss at first until he inhaled and caught that same dragon scent on the doctor. Not as strong but a presence none the less. 

"Your scent has changed" the doctor looked at him with a raised eyebrow, head tilted to the side while his nose scrunched at the bridge. 

"That dragon. Its smell is coming from you now" Rowan's eyes rounded, the young man staring up at him. He then quickly started pulling at his shirt, covering up any skin that hadn't already been covered. 

"I have no idea what you are talking about. I am just here for your check-up" he denied, stepping forward to check his arm for any injuries. Acnologia looked down at the boy. He knew what that scent meant. The young Redfox was now apart of a mated pair. Acnologia usually kept out of the matters of other dragons, after all he had a job, and this would be no exception. He would keep an eye on the boy, make sure he wasn't in any danger but he wouldn't interfere. He settled down, listening to the doctor as he started discussing the many ailments he'd treated through the week.

---

It took a long time for there to be any changes in the situation with the dragon. He would catch its scent when it arrived to the village and the scent surrounding the doctor would be strengthened as with all mate marks. It wasn't until the first heat of summer that he noticed the change. Rowan had been a bit further down the path although he knew the boy was approaching with his footfalls against the rock. He didn't think much of it until the scent hit him. He lifted his head, sniffing the air in case he'd gotten the scent wrong. The dragon scent was not as strong as usual, implying that the dragon hadn't returned recently. It was another scent. It was almost masked by the scent from the mate mark. A strange mix of dragon and human that didn't match up with the boy's regular scent.

"Good afternoon Acnologia. How have you been?" the doctor spoke up once he'd reached the peak of the mountain. Acnologia stood, examining the boy closely. He couldn't find anything different about him at a glance. He leaned down, sniffing him. Rowan looked at him, strangled noises escaping his lips as he fiddled with the hem of his white coat.