chapter thirty-seven: from the heart

You can hear Din mumbling to the Frog lady as he moves around the ship's interior while you observe the exterior damage done by the giant ass spider that is still laid out dead over the ship. Clicking your tongue as you trudge through the snow, you pull your blaster out of your holster and shoot at the beast out of frustration. You watch as the creature's body slides slightly from the force of your blast, its limp legs shifting in the snow as you continue to unload your frustration on the dead creature.

"Hey," Din calls softly as he exits the ship to find you shooting with a frown staining your expression. You don't hear him over the sound of your blaster, but the feeling of his hands on your shoulders makes the tension fall away almost instantaneously.

"Hey, hey, hey," he says softly, gently lowering your blaster down to your side. "The thing's already dead. I don't think you need to keep doing that," Din murmurs teasingly.

He's struggling to contain his laughter at your grumbles and swearing under your breath as you glare at the dead creature.

"I think you defeated it, ner oyay."

"I'm fine... I'm fine..." you grumble as he wraps his arms around you in a warm embrace. You pat Din's arm as it lays over your chest, lifting his gloved hand to press a kiss against the leather.

"You don't seem fine, my dear," Din murmurs, lowering his chin to rest it on your shoulder.

"I'm fine, I-..." you let out a small grunt, shaking your head softly. "I'm sorry... I'm just frustrated, Din."

"No need to apologize. It's going to be fine. We just need to get to Trask."

"I know," you huff, blowing a strand of hair out of your face with a small pout. Sighing as Din gives you a small squeeze of affection, you lean your head back against him. "Let's fix up the Crest and get off this frozen rock."

Din huffs out a chuckle as he turns and leads you back to the warmth of the ship. "I'll take care of the outer hull. Do you think you'd be able to help fix up any interior damage?"

"Yeah," you murmur, rising onto the tips of your toes to press a kiss against the cheek of his helmet. "Yeah, I'll check the wiring and controls."

"Vor entye, ner vencuy."

Amusement glimmers in your chest at his words, and you offer him a small smirk. "Stealing my words now, are we?"

Din smirks under the helmet, amusement and love flickering in his gaze as he looks down at you. "Well, they were such beautiful words."

Your brows raise in amusement when he leans in close, placing a hand on his chest to snap him from his daze.

"Don't get distracted, du d'bhem," you smirk, putting your old Master's language to use as you utter something you never thought you'd have the luxury to feel again in your lifetime. My love.

"Now that's new!" Din perks up, leaning in closer as you giggle. "What language was that?!"

"All in good time, Din," you murmur, moving farther into the ship to start your work. "All in good time."

And the two of you get to work. Din focused on fusing the hull of the ship and keeping the ship physically together while you checked the doors, wiring, and controls. Sometimes, whenever Din happened to walk by the gaping hole in the side of the ship, you could hear him muttering your words in Togruta to himself as he struggled to figure out what they could have meant.

Hours of work pass by. The two of you rush around the ship to work, checking on one another as you do so. Eventually, you find yourself settling into the cockpit with armfuls of blankets, ensuring that the Frog Lady sits comfortably with her children.