chapter fourteen

Ace knew Kenya felt attacked. He noticed when they first entered and now this wasn't his love Kenya. No this was his secretary in negotiations  Kenya.   Everytime he tried to tuch her she moved away or deflected his touch. Something he didn't like. He could tell that she was tense around his grandmother and aunts. He wished that his parents would have been truthful. This set up was not what he needed.

"I concur that the business has indeed run so much smoother with you helping my grandson." Henry Noah responded.

"Thank you Mr. Noah." Kenya replied.

"It takes a very special person or circumstance that will make my grandson committed. So I have to ask. Are you the person or the circumstance." Evangeline asked.

"Excuse me?" Kenya asked.

"Grandma.".

"Mother."

"I think I should go." Kenya moved her chair back.

"Kenya she didn't-"

"Take me home Ace. Now." Kenya spoke.

"Oh my. Sore topic?" Evangeline taunted.

Kenya slowly rose from her seat bringing with her an air of grace. Ace cursed as he chased after her. He grabbed her hand. She flicked him off.

"This is one of the reasons why I didn't  want to come here. I do not have to sit here and listen to your family ask me of the reason you are with me is because you knocked me up." She growled.

"You're right. You don't. And it wasn't the whole family. My grandmother....she is very different. But in the end what I say goes when it comes to me and my relationships." Ace told her.

"See that's the problem. This isn't a relationship. We haven't defined anything. And if she is doing this with us not even labeling what we have then I would hate to be present of what she would do if we were an item." She replied to him.

Ace sighed. He rubbed the bridge of his nose. It was starting to be annoying when she doubted him like that. She walked to her side of the car and opened it. He rushed forward closing the car with his hand. She turned to look at him as if he had grown another head. 

"Are you crazy?" She questioned.

"About you. I thought we established this already." He commented. 

"This isnt funny Ace." her frown was stuck in place. He mentally cursed. His grandmother and her big mouth. 

"Come back inside with me. " He spoke.

"Youre out your mind if you think I'm going back." She answered.

Ace felt the air shift in that familiar way. The way where he knew an argument was going to come from her. he wasn't going to have it. He grabbed her face and stared deeply into his eyes. "Kenya you are infuriating. You are my woman. Mine. And Nothing anyone else says will change that." 

"I should-"

He kissed her forcing his tongue down her throat to stop the argumentative words that were about to come out. Kenya pushed a his chest and he only pushed forward touching her where he knew she would turn into putty. 

Kenya clenched her teeth. Her face set in a scowl she walked passed with a shuffle that he found cute. He smirked before taking a few steps and catching her around the waist. He leaned in close to her ear. "And get rid of that attitude. I will make it up to you when we get home."

Kenya stumbled forward with the assistance of his hand on her back. She looked at his face to question his word usage but intentionally he refused to look at her. They reentered the dreaded house and Kenya prayed for patience and understanding. She felt the  hood come out and she wanted to remain classy and not go there on the first encounter of meeting his parents. But that old woman was about to negate all of that.

Everyone looked up when they reentered. Kenya decided she wouldn't say a word. "Kenya I would like to apologies on the behalf of my mother. She should have not spoken to you that way. She will not be down for the rest of the night." Ace's Father spoke. 

If she were in a better mood she would have laughed at the fact that the older woman was sent to her room. But she wasn't in a better mood. Ace sensed this and gave her butt a small tweak that made her jump. She slid him the side eye before plastering on a smile to her face.  She sat in the seat that he pulled out for her.

The conversation, despite the tension, picked up and Kenya found that despite the early hiccup she liked his family. Other than the old hoot, they welcomed her and made her blush with compliments that in the back of her  mind made her wonder if they were overcompensating. But she brushed that to the side to enjoy the rest of the evening. 

The drive home sat in a comfortable silence. Ace glanced over at Kenya to spoke only for his words to die in his throat. Head slightly tilted towards the window and eyes closed. The steady rise and fall of her chest alerted him that she was sleep and so quickly into the journey. His eyes flickered between the road and her face. He never got the chance to just stare at her. To really look at her beauty. And he had to say that it was dangerous. How he had never seen how beautiful she truly was he would never understand. From the arch of her brows to the round of her not quite button nose. Near her lips were lines where her face pulled into a smile that left him both breathless and hungry for something not food. 

He stopped at a light and fully looked at her. Her chest rose and fell and he found himself simply mesmerized from the rhythmic motion. The blaring of a honk woke him from his trance and her from her slumber. 

"What's going on?" She questioned sleepily.

He reached over and rubbed her cheek affectionately. "Nothing honey go back to sleep. Ill wake you when we are home." The words left him and he wasn't afraid by them. He didn't know when he resigned to his fate but he knew now that they were meant to be together. He was certain. He had to just make her certain as well.