—Like a revival, a second chance, or forgiveness, Jun's lungs coughed out smoky breaths, his hands pounding on his chest for relief. Like a camera, his eyes were out of focus until he blinked a few times.

The sky had returned to its normalcy, the coven's blue haze was no longer covering the ground, and the rain was gone. Hell was back to normal, somewhat.

Pushing himself off the ground, half of his face was hot; it burned just enough for discomfort, and as he came back to his senses, he realized the majority of his body had this discomfort as well.

Looking at his hands, his eyes widened from what resembled a burn but looked more enchanting. It was bright red and web-like, starting with different fingers on each hand and traveling up his arms. All he could assume was that it was his scar, his consequence.

Taking in his surroundings, the courtyard was none other than a graveyard; bodies were scattered even his father was feet away from him. But what was odd, as he looked, was all of their bodies were burned to a crisp, the blood moon's energy and fire catching on anything in the perimeter.

It was utterly silent, and as Jun was about to get up, he heard a cough in the distance and a figure walking toward him.

Minyoung, with a gash on her forehead and burns and ash covering her, still somehow managed to walk to Jun in a relaxed state. As she coughed, she spoke once close enough, "Kid, are you okay?"

He didn't realize the soreness of his throat until he spoke, his words quieter than usual, "I'm okay; how am I alive?" Jun was bewildered; he was supposed to die. How did he beat fate?

Minyoung only pointed at the bracelet that still adorned his wrist, a soft smile as she glanced over the burn-like marks all over him.

"This?" He lifted his wrist. "It saved me again?"

"It had just enough magic left to protect your heart enough." She explained, looking around at the quiet battlefield, but what caught her eye was the two soulmates resulting in scrunched eyebrows and her mouth falling open.

From her expression, Jun turned his head, seeing what she saw, and with giant strides, he walked over to them.

Getting closer, he saw the fang marks and the wingless angel, and Jun could only imagine what had happened to the two. It was odd, though, that their bodies were the only ones not charred, Jun thought.

"I told him to get out of here," Jun whispered.

"It's not your fault," Minyoung comforted Jun with a soft pat on his arm; the two looked sadly at the soulmates, their glances long enough until they turned back around.

Jun's heart had already been stomped on since he was a child, but seeing his best friend on the ground lifeless was just another painful ache and glistening tears.

If they had looked close enough, they might have seen the glimmering gold still shimmering on their skin. Instead, their attention was only gained with violent coughing.

On the ground, where death was more apparent than life, she was reborn. Her life now was not one of an angel, but instead, one with fangs that poked her peachy lips and black-coated wings that flapped as her eyes first fluttered open.

Idalia was alive, this time not an angel, a demon. She looked at her hands, then at her bloodied clothes, and finally to her soulmate, who still laid not breathing, not noticing the newly again shocked faces but instead the hopeful golden string that was born anew from its regrowth.

Her hands went to his chest, and although rebirth healed everything inside of her, no more aches or stabbing pains, her body felt stiff, and the remnants of before were still there. "Hao."

"Woah." Jun marveled at the situation, everything felt so lucky, and no matter how much was against them, they beat the odds.

Although Minghao had not awoken, Idalia felt oddly calm, her hands moving to cradle his face and push stray hairs off his forehead. Even though she wasn't panicked about his unconsciousness, tears only flowed from gratefulness, from pain, from love.

With blurry eyes, she wasn't positive that Minghao's eyes fluttered opened in the same way hers did, so only his voice could awaken her senses and say that he was alive.

"What are all those tears for?" He joked, even with a hoarse voice. His sarcasm was evident, and it was enough to cascade an emotional laugh out of her.

After he leaned on his elbows, she quickly wrapped her two arms around his neck; she hugged him as he gazed at the wings that spanned her neck.

"I'm sorry you're not an angel anymore." He spoke, finally leaning up to return the hug.

She loosened her arms, looking at him, the two inches apart. "We survived, Hao; that's all that matters." She nuzzled into his neck.

"I hate to break up your love, but it would be best for you both to return to your friends. To make sure everyone is okay." Minyoung interrupted.

The two broke apart for a moment, their minds racing, realizing their friends were not there. Idalia's mind flooded with some of her last moments seeing them.

They were planning to leave when someone entered the courtyard with multiple figures behind them. Only once they realized, the three seemed shocked, but Minyoung only smiled.

"Hyunbin, finally, you've shown up."

y'all didn't think i'd really kill off 3/4 main characters did ya?

ONE more chapter left, how do you think the book is going to end? how will the next vol began?

lmk what you think as always!

peace,
mads