matter of trust | 13

Start from the beginning

she picked up the phone and before she even knew it, she had dialled the number. the number quickly switching from calling to ringing, so she understood he could pick up. she knew he was in france for the weekend, seeing as he had invited her too, and he can't have left already. she remembered asking him beforehand.

her mind cleared up and she decided that she would not do this alone.

'hello?' the phone had rung for a few seconds before it was quickly attended to. valtteri's voice was slightly hoarse, suggesting he was sleeping. she bit her tongue, sorry to have woken him up. she had forgotten the difference in time zones.

'valtteri?' she could hear him jolt up from the bed, or wherever he had fallen asleep. she would've laughed at his sudden response, but her current predicament was a greater worry.

'dima? love, is everything alright?' they mostly text, so hearing a call was new to valtteri hence why he didn't even check the contact.

'valtteri, i need to see you.'

——

true to his promise over the phone, valtteri was there the next day.
he had knocked on her family's front door and dima felt herself run down the stairs from that damned study to the door, almost tripping.

she opened the door and immediately pulled the man to her. he immediately dropped the bag he was holding in his hands by the door and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to him. he kissed her hair reassuringly as he rubbed her back in comfort.

he didn't know what had happened but her voice over the phone haunted him the entire flight to beirut. the sheer desperation present in her voice didn't rub well onto him.

'it's going to be okay dima, it's going to be okay.' he muttered against her hair. he cupped her cheeks and took a look at her face.

'you're going to have to trust me.'

it was a scene that the khalil's and their extended family were familiar with. dima stood around her friends and family, once again, at the airport in beirut. she had come to an end of her early holiday. she still had a few weeks left away from her work (even if she was technically working from home because of course she was going to be) were a result of the limited days off she took the year proceeding her divorce and.. whatever else happened.

valtteri had returned to beirut, determined to make the most of the visa he had been granted on his visit months prior. he was now standing amongst the crowd that were bidding them goodbye.

'oh dearie i wish you would stay.' 'say hello to your parents for me!' and 'come visit soon!' echoed around the car. it was a typical arab send off, and valtteri was a little overwhelmed by the treatment. he hasn't expected such kindness from them.

'try to lose some weight dima!' dima heard from somewhere in the crowd, and she noticed it was that good for nothing neighbour who had managed to squeeze herself amongst the crowd. of course, it made her self conscious. she thought she was doing well regaining some weight after all the kilos she lost during the divorce and the baby.

all sorts of comments were being thrown around. and valtteri knew that out of curtesy that played a huge role in dima's culture, she wouldn't give a snappy reply. instead he just reassuringly squeezed her hand.

marjatta noticed, and while her heart softened at the sight of the couple who had grown up before her eyes, she felt the need to shake off her emotions. she moved forward to swat valtteri's hands away, with a playful look.

'none of that here, mister.' valtteri's blush blended in well with the well lit night, hardly singling him out.

marjatta kissed her daughter on the cheek and hugged valtteri goodbye, wishing them luck. george, in the meantime, laughed with valtteri and warned him to take good care of his only child.

the two eventually broke away from the crowd, heading to the international departures area. valtteri didn't even need directions anymore, he had guessed what the arabic signs (accompanied by english at the bottom but that was besides the point) and was proudly pointing out to dima, who only smiled warmly at his enthusiasm.

'keep this energy up and maybe hungry will be a special race, hayati.' dima endearingly replied.

valtteri sent her a look before reaching for her hand.

'it's already special, you're going to be there.'

——

this took forever to write.
please vote and comment.
what do you think soo far?

author