the date | 06

hi everyone! no one mention the race i'll start laughing out of madness.

[1125 words] - part two coming soon
——

she didn't know how, but she managed to pull herself out of the nearly depressive hole. she wasn't going to be upset. she wasn't going to let anything ruin her mood.

because it's thursday morning and she's going to see an old friend. an old friend whose significance in her life only became more and more prominent after he left the first time.

it's true when they say people only have value when they are distant.

she was going to see valtteri and she was going to be excited about it.

at least, that's what dima told herself.

she picked up the white sundress with little intricate patterns etched onto it and put it on. putting some moisturiser on with sunscreen and some liquid cheek stain to finish off the look. she didn't want to risk breaking out before going to lebanon so decided against putting foundation or concealer on. it made her process way easier and she mentally thanked herself as she saw the time before spritzing herself in the jasmine-scented perfume.

her phone buzzed slightly on her bed as she picked up her small handbag, putting her essentials inside it.

she reached over to pick it up and found a text from valtteri.

valtteri:
hey. i'm outside x

she didn't want to get nervous, but she still felt that harsh intake of breath in her chest.

it's valtteri. it's only valtteri. it would be silly to act nervous around him. she told herself.

she locked the door of her apartment and decided to take the stairs down. it would only take a few more minutes, and she was wearing canvas shoes so it wouldn't be challenging.

valtteri looked up from where he stood on his phone, leaning against the car when he heard the sound of the main door of her apartment building opening. a smile graced his face as the pretty dark-haired woman made her way towards him.

'hi.' she said as she stood in front of valtteri, unsure whether to kiss him on the cheek as per tradition or to just stay still.

'hello dima.' he said good-naturedly, leaning forward to give her a short embrace. dima reciprocated, her head resting against his shoulder for a second. she closed her eyes for that transient second, feeling him close to her was giving her memories she didn't exactly want to remember.

valtteri looked over her outfit, her dark hair never failing to complement her light and airy dress and her tanned skin.

'you look beautiful.' the comment was simple but it had dima's eyes squinting in embarrassment. her cheeks were going to get so red, especially if there was already a light blush on it.

'thank you.' at that moment she didn't think of anything to say to him as well.

'so? shall we continue with your abduction then?' he joked slightly as he opened the door for dima on the other side.

dima looked at him in mock suspicion with her sunglasses resting in her hair as he commented.

'i know this was meant to be a joke, but i'm starting to get worried now.' she said as he sat down in the car and started it up.

'nice car.' she said offhandedly, seeing as valtteri had just laughed at her worrying statement.

'thank you, the team gave it to me.' he replied as they sped down the streets of the finnish capital. she could see they were going somewhere slightly out of the city. the sun brightening up the landscape as they made their way.

'oh yes of course. mr race car driver. how is that going?' the small talk had dwindled into conversation now.

valtteri's blue eyes were largely focused on the road ahead of him, but when he made those little side glances at her when they were at junctions like they were now, made her a little tense.

'fine to be honest, i'm content with it all. it just gets a little tiring, all the travelling, i mean.' he sighed slightly, understanding the pros and cons of his career. dima could sense there was slight disappointment lacing his words and decided she didn't want to ask him about his career again.

'and what about you? you said you would become an author but now you plan weddings?' she was a little taken back that he remembered that.

she put her sunglasses down as the sun was now directly facing them.

'it's fun, i get to meet all sorts of people and i mean, they're all very interesting. as for the writing, i still do some of it.' it was so hard describing her career to people. she just planned peoples weddings that's all.

'that doesn't sound recent?' he questioned, picking up the uncertainty in the last part.

'oh, i stopped for a while.' there was a finality in her voice like she didn't want to do it again. she knew why she stopped writing, she had been writing loads before she lost the baby and got divorced.

valtteri sensed the tension again before moving the subject to something else.

'we're almost there by the way,' he had the directions memories from the number of times he visited the place by himself. he hoped that the picnic basket in the back was not visible to salwa since he wanted to surprise her.

'here?' she gestured to the open green spaces that seemed to envelop the entire country.

'just up.' as he said that, she felt a difference in the terrain from the way valtteri's mercedes' started moving. the tiny pebbles that lined the path made a pronounced sound against his tyres.

as valtteri stopped that car, he opened the door for dima. reaching out his hand for her to take, she looked at him suspiciously, her head tilted slightly.

'i'm a little worried vicky.' valtteri rolled his eyes as he took her hand and helped her out of the car. it wasn't necessary, of course, but it would help his slightly raised heartbeat at realising he was basically on a date with the woman he grew up with and had dramatic feelings for back then.

she ruffled out any kinks in her dress as she waited for valtteri, who was getting something from the back.

he emerged with a picnic basket that had her gasping.

'val you can't be serious.' she gave him a look as she took in how sweet her once-favourite blonde was.

'why, do you not like it?' he said a little unsure now.

'shut up valtteri this is so cute oh my god.' she lightly slapped his arm as the smile erupted on her face. he just looked on at her as she took it all in.

'we're having a picnic? here?' she gestured around to the beautiful yet quite deserted area they were in. she couldn't believe this.

it had been ages since she did something like this. it hit her now that her past relationship had been deteriorating since before she even realised, seeing as they couldn't even do things that friends did with each other without feeling terrible.

valtteri had his hands in his pockets as he rested the basket on the floor.

'well, only if you want.'

—-

VALTTERI MY BELOVED ❤️
not edited