The Orb (Part 2)

"And where were you at the time?" asked Jerry.

"I was in the garden. It was a beautiful summer's day." She suddenly smiled. "Would you like to meet him?"

"He's here?" asked Anne. The two investigators shared nervous glances. "How do you know? Don't you need to perform some kind of a séance or something?"

Mrs. Chedwell gave out a trilling laugh. "No, no, dear. Not here."

Jerry found the glint in her eye unsettling. "Is it safe? I mean, if you believe Cane killed Charles Manford, would we not be in danger?"

"But you don't believe in ghosts, so how much danger do you think you'll be in?"

"What does Cane look like?" asked Anne.

"I have no idea. What you actually see is an orb. But if you want to visit the room where Charles died, you'll have to meet the orb because that's the place it seems to like the most."

Jerry shrugged. "I'm not sure if an orb can actually be classed as a ghost, but all the same, we're right behind you."

She led them out into the hall, past a grand oak staircase that smelt of fresh polish, to a doorway. Once through, the ceiling appeared lower, and the hallway narrowed.

"Is this the old part of the house?" asked Jerry.

"Yes," said Mrs. Chedwell. "Cane's house."

The corridor ended at a dark wooden door which Jerry recognised from the film. To its right were the stairs that Charles had climbed.

"This was where Charles started filming," said Jerry. "The camera was pointing towards that door."

Mrs Chedwell nodded. "That's right, there were cables everywhere."

"What's through the door?" asked Anne.

"It's the garden, dear. In Cane's time, there would have been a hospital. There's nothing left of it now, apart from the old chapel. But it's here where Cane enters the house every day. He then drifts upstairs."

They followed her up the stairs and past a small window that cast its light across the landing, illuminating three closed doors. Mrs Chedwell headed for the nearest.

"This is the master bedroom," she said as she stepped inside.

Jerry eagerly followed while Anne lingered in the doorway. The room was bright, just as he remembered. The white walls glowed from the sun, and the bed appeared unused. Wooden furniture lined the walls, and their polished finish complemented the beams that were on show.

"This is where Charles died," said Jerry, pointing to the spot at the foot of the bed. "The camera would have been positioned over there."

"That's right," said Mrs. Chedwell. "He placed the camera on the bedside table."

Jerry moved around the bed to the table and surveyed the room. Anne remained in the doorway while Mrs. Chedwell stood at the foot of the bed, near to where Charles had died. In his mind's eye, Jerry could see the camera's view. Of course, there was a huge amount of bedroom that the camera didn't see, but still, there was nowhere that someone could have hidden.

"You seem disappointed," said Mrs. Chedwell.

"I am a little," he confessed. "I was hoping to find the place where the murderer was hiding."

She smirked and shook her head. "I've already told you who murdered Charles. Is it so hard to believe? However, you'll stride the bedroom, take some notes, and eventually, you'll come to the same conclusion as the police and pass the murder off as unexplained. You won't admit it, but you'll have to accept that the only person who could have murdered Charles was Cane."