Chapter 1 - Hello Boys

-3rd Person POV-

Sam and Dean's day should've started out like it regularly did. Drinking coffee, Dean eating bacon (real bacon, not that crap Sammy wants), and reading the paper. That type of morning would've been much more relaxing than the one they had to experience.

Dean almost completely pissed himself when a loud and sudden flap of wings sounded from behind him as he was preoccupied with getting his morning cup of joe. "Jesus, Cas!" Dean exclaimed, looking down at the coffee that now covered his shirt, "Any other room!"   

"Castiel wishes he could be as cool as me, Dean-o." a smug and teasing voice replied to his angry outburst.

The older Winchester almost got whiplash from turning around. The Archangel Gabriel stood across from him, sporting the usual sucker in his mouth. Dean looked over to Sam, who was sitting at the table, only to see him wearing the same shocked expression. "Gabriel" Sam stated the obvious. 

"Hello boys," He said, his signature smirk resting on his face, "as much as I love seeing you," he paused quickly to look at Sam and give a not-so-subtle flirtatious wink before continuing, "I'm not here for you today. Where's Cassy?"

Dean was about to reply with a protective response when a very sweaty Castiel came into view, leaning on the wall of the kitchen entrance, looking almost bent over in pain. "oH shit," Gabriel rushed over to him, suddenly very concerned. 

"Woah woah woah, what's- what's happening? Cas?" Dean questioned, walking over to Cas worriedly. Sam decided to stay back and let them examine Cas, not wanting to crowd the already unwell angel.  

"Dean, no stay back," Gabriel pushed out a hand at Dean's chest to stop him before he could reach Cas. Dean reluctantly drew back from Castiel as the archangel hoisted Cas's arm around him and helped him hobble back out into the hallway. 

They weren't far when Gabriel voiced, "Samsquatch, you better get your tall and muscular butt out here and help me!" Before Dean could argue and say that he should be the one helping Gabriel was already replying, "Not you Dean, we'll talk later." Sam passed Dean on his way out of the kitchen to help their angelic friends but not before giving Dean a sympathetic smile. 

Dean had so many questions. 'What happened to Cas?' 'Why couldn't he help?' 'Is his brother dating an archangel?'  He couldn't help but feel guilty, but he didn't know what he was feeling guilty about. He didn't even know what was happening for Christ sakes. 

-Gabriel POV-

*Flashback*

I woke up this morning (at my property in Turks and Caicos) with a pain surging through my back, where my wings would be if they were in the same dimensional wavelength. 'Oh fuck me' Why today?? 

A familiar tingle travelled through my chest, and I silently cursed my little brother. You know, the one in love with Dean Winchester? I am a bit judgey about his pick but only because I find myself gravitating towards the tall glass of water with glorious hair that travels with the elder Winchester. Ah yes, that moose could step on me, and I would thank hi- Okay anyway, back to my brother. 

*Current time*

I am going to be completely honest, it was worse than I thought. In heaven, before all this Winchester drama and, hell, even before the fall of my brother Lucie, it was up to the archangels to take care of the 'lesser angels' during specific times in their lives, this being one of them. So, seeing Castiel like this made my instincts kick in. Even before I saw him, I could feel it happening. Dad made sure that no matter where we were, we would know when to be present. 

While I don't appreciate the pain, I would do anything to help my brothers and sisters. Even if it meant they would sooner end up with a freaking Winchester.

-3rd Person POV-

Castiel lay in his bed now, with the help of Sam and Gabe. He was still profusely sweating which indicated that he had a fever, so Gabriel had Sam fetch a cold wet towel from the adjacent bathroom. Meanwhile, Dean stayed in the hallway right outside of Cas's room, pacing anxiously. He didn't know why exactly he was responding like this, I mean Cas is his best friend but he doesn't usually get this worked up unless it had something to do with Sam. 

10 minutes go by and Gabe finally comes out of the room. Dean's attention immediately goes to the archangel, "What's wrong, how is he?" he rushes out. "Let's talk about this somewhere else." Gabriel responds calmly.

They return to the kitchen and settle at the table, the Winchester brothers listening to Gabe intently. "So basically, Cassie is suffering from what us angels call 'Reperio vestri soulmate' which, in Latin, roughly means 'Find your soulmate' (google translated). I know, not a great name but we aren't very creative with these types of things. Anyways, what that means is that Castiel is finally at the time in his long eternal lifetime where he requires his soulmate. This type of reaction only happens once in an angel's lifetime. In Castiel's case, he has already met his soulmate." 

Dean couldn't help the pang of jealousy that shot through him, but he pressed anyway, "Well that's great but why does it look like he's on his death bed?"

"You see, that's the thing with soulmates. It has to be a mutual relationship in order for the angel to be strong and, well, survive." Gabe explains, "Yes, it's great that he met his mate, but he has to have their full affection."

"Okay, so who's the lucky girl?"

Gabriel turns to Sam, "He really doesn't know?"

Sam shrugs at him with an 'I guess not' look on his face

Sam shrugs at him with an 'I guess not' look on his face. Dean looked between the two of them, extremely confused. The next step Gabriel needs to take, he really doesn't want to, but he knows that he has to for the sake of his stubborn brother. 

Gabriel sighs, "Come with me, Dean."