Prologue

Zhan's Pov.

I don't feel like going to work today; I ache all over from sleeping in this sauna. That quarry work is not an easy Job. But I have to go to work and save money to get an apartment.

I quickly put on my uniform and left for work. I was walking on the street when I saw a boy, not over 10 years old, sleeping on the cold floor in front of a store with a bag he used as a pillow. It reminded me of myself when my mother left me in that godforsaken motherless baby home before I left four months ago.

I couldn't control my legs, despite knowing I was late for work. I picked him up with his bag and took him back to the sauna. I have been sleeping here for two months, I placed him on my sleeping mat and told the manager he is my brother.

I begged her to not let him leave when he woke up until I was back from work. And gave her money to get him food.

I know I was late for work and my boss is very strict, he doesn't joke about his work, he will deduct money from my salary.

I walked down the lonely road and into the quarry, luckily he wasn't around.

I quickly take my position and start working.

"My boss's son, Cheng, is always nice to me whenever he comes to work with his dad.

I'm at work but my mind is in the sauna, I hope he has not run away.

When it is 6 pm, I washed my face, hands, legs and left the quarry.

When I reached the sauna, I saw the manager but I didn't see the boy anywhere. I panicked and rushed to her.

Good evening Mrs. Sun, please where is the boy?

Are you sure he is your brother? Because he said he doesn't know anyone named Zhan. He cried all morning and made a mess of the sauna, but if you care to know. He is in front of a store crying. Her reply was stern.

I figured he must have stressed her. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience he must have caused you. I apologized and ran out of the sauna.

"I saw him sitting in a corner by the store, crying." I grew up in a motherless baby home, and I have listened to hundreds of children cry. I can say I got used to their cries after 6 years. But hearing "him cry breaks my heart." for some reason I don't know.

Hey, I crouched to him and smiled faintly.

"I'm Zhan", I picked you up this morning when you were sleeping.

"Have you had anything to eat?"

He didn't talk, he just stared at me.

After a few minutes of silence, I spoke again.

"Are you waiting for someone?".

Yes, my dad. His voice was void.

Oh, okay, I decided to sit on the stone beside him.

"Is it okay if I stay with you until your dad comes?".

He just nodded his head and kept staring at me.

"What is your name and how old are you?"

My name is Wang Yibo and I'm 10 years old.

We sat there without talking to each other until all the store owners closed.

When I checked across the street, the only stall that stays out late at night is the ramen seller. He goes to work in the morning and sells ramen at night. That was how I knew it was 10 pm and my stomach had already started biting and crying for food.