Chapter 6: Dog Is Man's Enemy

Start from the beginning

Nevertheless, closing my eyes as I remember all the life and death situations, I slowly stand up. My body tries to be still, but hands are almost trembling as I stare right at the dog and move towards the still open doors. Cold, winter breeze is felt even here, but I have no time to thank anyone when the dog starts walking closer to me.

The assumable owner doesn't pay any mind to it, hopefully my steps are the same as the silence while I manage to stop there, soundless as the dog sees that there is now food on the plate from before, but I am faster. One, little harsher push and the creature is out on the small balcony as I slam the doors closed, already pulling the gun in the air.

"Do not." my words are stern when his hand freezes in the air, close to the gun. "Leave it."

He nods, slowly pulling away when I add. "Hands in the air and stand where I can see you."

His state seeks to be calm, sort of nervous, but used to this. The way he moves tells me this is definitely not the first time. "I think there has been a mist-"

"Quit lying." I cut him off, stepping closer as his hands quiver through the air. The almost hidden moonlight is letting me see his face. Mostly fractures and some shapes, but I don't have time to focus on his life picture.

"Who are you?"

A grim feature on his face doesn't sleep even in this late night. "You don't recognise me Miles?"

Maybe it was the pplite silence of the night or even the actual attempt into seeing through the future, but I do know him. He's different now though, a long slashed scar across his face, stretching all the way from forehead to the left part of his beard covered chin.

It's surreal how his shoulders are wider, muscles bigger, than they used to be. I always thought he was scary then, now I feel like a character in a horror movie that dies at the begining to work as an example for stupid kids that even then avoid logic.

"Simon?" I ask, but the sucked grin is enough for me. "I see you are still dumb as before."

His laugh is menacing when I continue. "Showing up at my house when you have been on the Bureau's radar for the last three years."

Simon Heriot, the only man who managed to escape after the mass arrest of Snowcombe. Some believe he would be quiet, be too scared to do anything and hide on some deserted island, away from the law. I wish I were one of these 'some' but I knew that the lack of the brain in me went into his strength.

"I wouldn't, if it was my choice." If it were my choice, a brainless moron who by the looks of it didn't pass second grade grammar said. "But the boss commanded."

A spit it struck in my throat at the mention. "Boss?"

He chuckles, stepping closer as I push closer as well, warning him. He takes the hint, lowering his hands slightly. "Oh please, Miles or Winter or even fucking Henry, whichever you want, you know that Landon escaped."

"I do."

"You should also know that he is the one who sent me here," he chuckles. "and is very upset about the way you two parted."

It's the last thing that I remember outside of getting my gun ripped out by a harsh palm punch, not having time to gather my thoughts before I am spitting blood from his fist.

Well I deserved that one, even the next one which pushes me to have my back almost cracked on the counter.

It's aftermath and reaction which he probably waited for for a long time. I sort of understand, I am sure that the whole town would cheer if I was placed to burn at the stake for disturbing their peace.