Secrets

Something was wrong. Alina insisted that this was normal and that being with child made some women weepy but this seemed excessive to Magnus. She woke in the middle of the night craving Andalusian stuffed eggs and, by some feat of magic, Cook was able to send some up. The chin wobble and teary eyes started when she ate all the eggs and still felt hungry. He swore to her that, if needed, he would raid the chicken coops himself so Cook could prepare more.

"Nay, Magnus," she sniffled. "Come back to bed with me. I'm being unreasonable. Ye've given in enough to my mad cravings."

"Love, it's my right and honor as yer husband to cater tae yer cravings," he said.

He left their bedchamber with the empty trencher and headed down to the kitchen. He would happily handle the past week's midnight cravings but he felt helpless against the crying spells of the last two months. He'd thought the worst when Alina and Mairi came back from Ainsley's childbirth with Alina in tears. But Mairi assured him that Ainsley and baby Evander Dunbar were perfectly healthy.

On his birthday last month, Mairi gifted him handkerchiefs she'd embroidered herself, saying she and Jamie were always mopping up after their five hellions at home. Alina's eyes welled up and she had to excuse herself. She generally held herself together in front of others, only letting herself cry when they were alone. Just the other other day, he'd found her curled up in silent tears, cradling the modest curve of her belly. She'd whispered that she felt the baby move for the first time.

Magnus entered the kitchen to find Cook piping a yolk mixture into the halves of boiled egg whites. He was so relieved that he nearly kissed the stout woman full on the mouth. She told him it was a recipe that Lady Samira brought from Spain. Alina's mother craved these during her pregnancies, too.

"You knew Alina's mother?" Magnus asked. "What was she like?"

"She was quiet," Cook said. "Very much in love with Laird Kerr. But sad a lot of the time, especially after her pregnancies ended badly."

Magnus felt his chest constrict.

Noting his troubled expression, Cook said, "Alina's not like her mother. She may be a slip of a lass but there's a core of steel running through her."

"She's been crying," he confided.

"Aye," said Cook. "She's an emotional one. But she's also easy to cheer. Give her a reason to smile. She'll come around."

She handed him a new trencher with a dozen egg halves. He thanked her and headed back to Alina.

His wife was curled up fast asleep. She barely stirred when he kissed her temple. If she kept to pattern, she'd not wake again til morning. He popped an egg half in his mouth and found it delicious. Herbs and spices transformed a simple boiled egg into a delicacy.

He felt restless so he headed out to the bailey with trencher in hand. Most of his men eschewed their barracks in favor of sleeping under the stars, especially on a breezy June night like this. Alec greeted him as he exited the keep. His brother chose the barracks over the castle keep and, like their men, preferred the outdoors most of all.

Magnus handed Alec the trencher.

"What's this?" Alec asked.

He had a half egg in his mouth before his brother could answer.

"Fancy boiled eggs," replied Magnus.

"Tasty," Alec commented. "Why are ye up?"

"Alina needed a midnight snack," Magnus replied.

"Ah, that explains all the disgruntled clucking from chicken coops earlier," said Alec. "I'm glad ye came out, actually. We debated whether tae wake ye or wait til morning."