Knack

"We may look like Vikings, Campbell, but we don't actually raid territories anymore. Well... not much anyway. And certainly not from innocent damsels sitting in their pretty clifftop castles," said Alec.

The men were seated on the dais as servants cleared the table. A couple of the women sent inviting looks over to the pair of square-jawed highlanders.

Magnus said, "We won't do yer dirty work for ye. Problems you have with yer neighbor will have tae be settled after ye make -"

"Amends, I ken, I ken," the Campbell interrupted. "What I'm telling ye is that this is the best boon ye'll ever get. I'll happily give ye a ship full of supplies as yer sister's bride price but there's no prize like the territory south of us. All ye have tae do is get the lass tae - "

Magnus interrupted, "We'll not accept this 'boon' in place of what ye owe us."

"Of course not! I would never try tae get out of paying my due." The Campbell ignored Alec's snort of disbelief. "My son wronged yer family and we'll compensate accordingly. Just think, though, Jamie is my heir and yer Mairi will live here among my clan. Wouldn't ye like tae have the neighboring property nearby so ye can visit?"

Magnus expression did not change.

The Campbell continued, "Yer brother Rolf is heir and ye've no lands of yer own tae claim. As a second son, this is your chance tae be laird of yer own territory. Yer father would be proud. Even our King William wouldn't mind if, in the end, we finally get a Scot back in charge. Eleven years is too long with the English running things down there. He can't even be arsed tae defend it as he's currently down in England - where he belongs, mind ye - attending tae his frail wee wife. Our winters are hard on the English."

"We want only what's owed us. I've no interest in involving myself in yer feuds,"Magnus said as he drained the last of his ale and stood from the table.

The Campbell stood as well, "Don't miss this opportunity, son. We're family now, what with yer sister married tae our Jamie. He missed his chance but you don't havetae."

Magnus leveled a look, waited. He had a knack for knowing when people were lying or withholding information.

The Campbell conceded, "Yes, I'd prefer that Lady Alina be married tae ye than any of other clans around here. The MacLellans have feuded with us for generations. I'd let everything burn tae the ground if it meant keeping that old bastard from getting Glenkerrloch. And the Boyds and Kerrs down south are worse than the English. At least he kens he's English. These bastards pretend tae still be Scots when they're softer than that puir we lass who couldn't handle our winters. Think more on it tonight and talk with me again on the morrow before ye decide anything."

Magnus, nodded, satisfied that the Campbell was at last being honest with them. He gestured for his brother to follow as they made their rounds among their men settling down for the night in the great hall. They then headed out to the bailey. It was a mild December night and most of Magnus's men chose to sleep out under the moon and stars. These were hardy highlanders. Those who served under Magnus held themselves to an even tougher standard than the rest of the Sinclair soldiers.

"It's worth at least visiting the lady and her lands before we sail back home. Who knows? Maybe she'll take a liking tae one of us. I wouldn't mind a rich wife." Alec grinned. "I noticed ye've read those letters a few times now. Were my eyes lying tae me or did I actually see ye chuckle? What was the lass writing that had ye so tickled?"

Magnus did not rise to the bait.

He said, "She's a clever lass. Young Jamie had no idea that he was being led right where she wanted: out of her life while still holding on tae the Campbell's protection. He ended up at our door because of her. She likely sent him north as soon as the betrothal contract was signed. It wasnae the Campbell's idea for his son tae spend this past year with us."

"But the training certainly did young Jamie some good. The lad was a right pillock before we knocked some sense intae him," said Alec.

"The Campbell's a manipulative bastard and he'll try tae run the rest of Jamie's and Mairi's lives. I don't like him trying tae influence mine," said Magnus.

Alec said, "He can try but we Sinclairs are a stubborn lot. He might be surprised tae find our Mairi a hard one tae control. What I'm wondering is, why doesn't he just set up a betrothal with one of his younger sons? Or marry her himself? His wife died this autumn, right?"

Magnus replied, "Aye, died in childbirth, leaving five young sons behind, the eldest only eight. She was a second wife. Jamie's the only surviving issue from the first marriage. Maybe the Campbell's not ready for a third wife."

"Or maybe this Lady Alina is a termagant that even he isnae willing tae take on. He'd rather ye be the one tae try tae wrangle her," Alec said before heading back to the warmth of the great hall and a willing woman.

Regardless of where they went, there were always willing women for Alec Sinclair.

Alec often teased Magnus about his high-minded habits. Magnus was no monk but he preferred to keep to one leman at a time. Since his first at fifteen, he'd had five lemans, each for about two years before he'd make other arrangements. He'd sent his last one to marry a fisherman a few months ago. He regretted not having done it sooner. He preferred ending things before the woman got attached enough to cry at their parting. Scrupulous habits like that provided the order necessary in a soldier's life.

Magnus picked up a lantern from the stables and ascended the stairs to the ramparts. His gaze pulled south toward the Lady Alina's clifftop castle. He had no interest in comforts or riches. He was a born soldier, the best in his clan. Fighting was all that he knew and the only thing expected of him. Rolf was eldest and carried the mantle of leadership. Alec possessed an easy charm that made him the natural peacemaker. Alec and Mairi often accused Magnus of being made of stone, never caring for anything outside of battle. He never minded that his needs and wants were simpler than others. But he has started to wonder if his siblings were right about him getting colder with age. His knack made it so he knew how others were feeling but, lately, he seemed to have the lost the ability to feel emotions of his own.

He set the lantern on the parapet. The moon was nearly bright enough on its own but the lantern made it so he didn't have to squint. He retrieved the letters from an inner pocket and unfolded them to read. Again.