Chapter 35 - finally

Start from the beginning

80th minute, Spain 1 England 0

When Spain's goal went in soon after half time, my heart shattered. The girls hadn't been playing well since then and it really looked like we were going to lose. Nothing seemed to be working. Substitutes went on but hadn't really made an attacking difference, they had only prevented Spain from getting another goal. The Spanish fans seemed certain that they were heading for the semi-finals, and by the looks of things, it wasn't hard to believe that they were right. 

Rachel Daly had an attempt, but was caught firmly by the goalkeeper. Every single shot we were sending into the box was either off target or couldn't be executed well enough. Sarina had stood up from her seat and was now standing in the coach box, shouting instructions to the girls. However, the noise from the stadium was only making communication difficult. 

More desperate shots were sent in from Chloe, Lauren, Ella, Georgia and another one from Lauren. The Spanish team scrambling to hold onto their lead. But none of our shots could find their way into the back of the net.

The players were building up to having another attempt in the 84th minute, and the crowd could sense that something was different about this attack. Keira passed it to G, who sent it down the right hand side of the pitch to Hemp who was un-marked. She crossed it into the box and every single English fan stood up on their feet, hoping for a goal. Russo laid the cross off to Ella who was just in front of the goal. She stuck out a foot and slammed it into the back of the net. When I tell you I was the loudest person in the crowd, I mean it. Just when we thought we were going home, Tooney was there to save the day.

After the goal went in, Spain crumbled - almost as if they didn't belive they had a chance of winning any more, even though we were still level. The last few minutes of normal time were crucial, we couldn't let a goal in or it would all be over. Spanish fans and players were getting very angry in their areas and we were just dominating the game now. Even the Spanish substitute goalkeeper got a yellow card for losing her cool on the bench.

We managed to stay level with Spain and the game was taken into extra time. The lionesses seemed much more energised after Ella's goal and were enjoying a time of pressing forward and holding possession. Sarina's substitutions made a huge impact on the game as we were now the more confident side on the pitch. The crowd still hadn't settled down and were singing as loudly as possible, trying to pass on their energy to the players. I was too nervous to sit down, at the end of these 30 minutes, we could either be going to the semis, going home or going to penalties. I just hoped that it would be the first option.

The tension was building, but England looked like they were having a great time playing the sport they love. Keira passed a wonderful ball to G who tore up the middle of the pitch, absolutely no one marking her. The whole crowd thought she would pass, but she didn't. She went alone until she got close enough to shoot. She whipped the ball from outside the area into the back of the net. What a screamer of a goal. Once again the crowd erupted, as we were certain that we had well and truly finished off the game and smashed the Spanish team.

Over 31,000 people stayed after the game to celebrate with the girls. Music blaring out from the colossal speakers as the night came to an end. I ran up to Ella and jumped on her back, "Tooney!". She held my weight under her arms and ran with me attached to her back. I have no idea how she even had the energy to hold me, nevermind run with me after that intense game.

She held me into Georgia walked up to us. I jumped off Tooney's back and attached my arms round G's neck, "that goal was incredible...I'm going to miss you when you go to Germany next season". She pulled me closer, "I am too. I've enjoyed being around you Mini Bronze". I laughed but deep down I was upset that after this tournament we would both be in different countries.