Chapter 2

Ten nights ago, Lisa was sitting alone on the same banquet hall, completely immersed in writing a letter and forgetting that her cup of cappuccino was already starting to go cold. When she finally finished, she took one sip and thought: this is exactly how I feel. Lukewarm.

She neatly folded the paper and
slipped it inside a cream-colored
envelope. She still couldn't bring
herself to write out the name of the
person she was writing the letter to.
She got up from her seat and walked out of the hall, heading straight to the elevators where she pushed the button for the sixteenth floor. It had been a long and tiring Thursday because it was the final day of the national conference she has attended as a representative.
She eagerly looked forward to five hours of sleep before her flight tomorrow.

When the elevator door finally
opened to the sixteenth floor, her
attention was swiftly drawn to the
woman standing alone in the empty hallway. She walked slowly, her curiosity piqued at why the woman was standing in front of a door room 2320.

As she came nearer into view, she
studied her side profile. Her height
was average and her figure was
slender. Her hair cascaded in pretty
waves and shades of hazel, about
the same color as the vintage brown wallpaper of the hotel. She was wearing a white t-shirt and ripped jeans but she looked so regal even as her white sneakers fidgeted on the plush carpet of the hallway. She was clutching a piece of paper on her hands too and she was crying. She wiped away her tears with the back of her hand and ignored Lisa as she went past her.

When she finally stood in front of
room 2323, she stole another glance
at the woman. Just before her hands could swipe the hotel key card, the woman came running towards her direction and kissed her full on the mouth.

Holy sh-her lips...It's...delicious.

She stood frozen, too stunned to react but she saw that the room 2320 opened and a couple emerged into the hallway. The couple saw them kissing, exchanged a laugh and went to the elevator. The woman kissing Lisa held her by the wrists and directed her hand to swipe the hotel key card, never letting go of her lips. Room 2323 opened and she led her inside. She
didn't protest because he understood: she needed a place to hide.

The room was dark because the lights were off and they collapsed on the floor, the woman on top of Lisa. She finally stopped kissing her and they both took time to catch their breaths.

"I'm sorry," she said, trembling.

Lisa enjoyed the kiss so much that she replied to her without thinking.

"Thank you," she answered. The words escaped her lips before she realized how awkward that sounded.

LISA CALM DOWN, FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

Despite her still-damp, tear-stricken
cheeks, Lisa felt and heard the beautiful woman laughing a little.

When she motioned to get up so she
could turn on the lights, she stopped her, keeping her underneath her.

"May I...I'm really sorry, can I have
thirty seconds? I promise I will leave right away"

"You can stay here for as long as you need."

She embraced her and cried. She
couldn't explain why, but she decided to hold her tightly.

And just when Lisa thought she was
overcome with the intensity of the
emotional moment, the woman
unexpectedly started counting in
between her sobs and tears.

"One... Two... Three... huhuhuhu...Four.."

She really meant strictly thirty
seconds. Why is she so cute?

"... Fifteen...Sixteen..."

Lisa had the sudden irrational urge
to stop time. She wanted to hold this girl longer. Inexplicably, she fits so perfectly inside her arms.

"Twenty-eight...huhuhuhu... Twenty-nine...Thirty."

She went absolutely still and slowly
got up then fumbled on the floor for
the contents of her bag that spilled
on the carpet. Lisa turned on the light and looked at her. The woman met her gaze, her cheeks blushing. Her eyes were a little swollen from crying and yet, Lisa was instantly enthralled. Her eyes were phoenix black: sweet, alluring, so delicious to look at.

They looked at each other and she
watched helplessly as the woman
gathered her things, opened the
door and left. On instinct, her hands reached for the knob to go after her, but it finally dawned on her that she probably needed time for herself to be alone. Her eyes darted on the floor and she picked up her hotel key card.
She also picked up the envelope that fell on the carpet but she knew right away that this wasn't the letter she was writing just a couple of minutes ago.
On the side, written in fancy cursive, was no doubt the woman's name: For Ms. Jennie Kim.

The envelope wasn't sealed so she
opened it and the contents were
a written letter and a wedding
invitation in an outrageous bright red swirling font. She is going to be one of the bridesmaids, and the wedding reception will be held on the banquet hall of this exact same hotel ten days from that day.

As Lisa started to read the handwritten letter, she suddenly remembered the
envelope containing her own letter
that she finished writing earlier.

It was nowhere to be found.