Chapter Four

"What's the point of all of this?" I smiled, chuckling a bit. Newt smirked.

"It's a little thing called fun, actually. It's something us Gladers hold as a very highly valued aspect of our lives!" Newt said cheekily, shouting to be heard over the noise of the other Gladers, who were now singing and dancing around the giant fire, laughing and making jokes. I smiled, inhaling the air of evening air and the smoke from the fire. It felt wonderful, and for just the briefest of moments, I never wanted it to end. I felt a strong hand on my shoulder, snapping me out of my tiny moment of ignorant bliss. I turned around, only to face Gally, who had a small smile playing on his lips.

"How's it going, Greenie?" He chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest, putting emphasis on the word "Greenie" just to spite me. I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms in return.

"Fine, fine. Just wondering why a Princess like yourself is outside talking to me when you really should be drinking some tea and slipping into your evening gown right about now?" I smirked, giving him a playful wink as chuckled, staring down at the ground as he pressed his tongue against the inside of his lower lip, as though in frustration or challenge.

"Alright, fine. If that's the way you wanna play it, hot shot?" He said, smirking.

"Ooh, I'm a hot shot now? I had no idea you found me 'hot'?!" I smiled. Gally rolled his eyes.

"Alright, Greenie. Fine, if that's the way you want it. So, since I'm a frilly little girl, you wouldn't have any problem challenging me in a fight?" I was slightly taken aback at first, but I smirked, not wanting to ruin my confident cover-up.

"It would be my honor, m'lady." I said smirking, giving a small curtsy for added affect. Gally smiled, rolling his eyes.

"Uh huh, well lucky for you, I don't fight girls." I chuckled, shaking my head.

"Fine, your loss, Princess. I have better things to do than listen to you complain about breaking a nail anyway." I smirked, turning around as I started to walk away, but I felt a hand placed on my shoulder. I spun around. He was pissed now. He crossed his arms, a mischievous smirk playing on his face as he nodded.

"Hah, alright. I'm game, Greenie. But it's your funeral. The rules are simple. I'll try to push you out of that circle, you try to last more than 5 seconds. And, since you're a girl, I'm not gonna beat you to a pulp like I do with the guys. If I can, say, carry you out of the circle, I win. Ok?" I chuckled, rolling my eyes, but on the inside I was thankful that he had agreed not to hurt me, considering there was no way I would win if he was attacking me at full force.

"Fine, whatever you want, Princess, but just to clarify, if I win, you stop calling me Greenie." Gally just smirked, nodding as he gestured towards the circle, which was mapped out with rope, to the left of the fire. A few people were already gathered around, as though waiting for someone to step inside and entertain them. I nodded, stepping inside as I heard a few tantalizing "Oooh"'s. Gally then stepped in on the other side, causing quite the commotion as people now gathered around in hoards, curious to see whether or not I was going to die. I just crossed my arms, smiling.

"Whenever you're ready, Princess." I smirked. I wasn't strong, that was for damn sure, but I was clever. I could maybe, just maybe, outsmart him. But first, he would need to believe that I couldn't defend myself. I needed to lure him in.

"How about 3 rounds, sound good enough for you, Greenie?" I smirked.

"Sounds perfect." I said honestly. He nodded, and the round began. Gally smiled, running at me, crouching low with his arms outstretched. Before I could react, his arms were wrapped around my waist, and he had heaved me over his shoulder, carrying me out of the maze with ease. He chuckled, setting me down as he shook his head.