Chapter Eight, part B

"Hayden." The figure spoke. The moment he heard the figure's voice he no longer had to guess who was in front of him, it was Kirin.

"Hello Kirin, I mean your highness." Hayden fumbled with his words, trying his best to know the right thing to say but failing.

"I am not the queen yet Hayden." Kirin sounded strong but it was obvious that she was putting on a face for her people. They had all lost a kind today but only Kirin had lost a father but her people needed to see a strong queen.

"Hayden I wanted to have a talk with you but somewhere private." Kirin was dressed in all black silk morning clothes but Hayden was still dressed in his armor.

"I need to change out of my armor and then we can go." Hayden started to turn back into his hut but Kirin grabbed his arm.

"There is no time Hayden. They are preparing a place for my father as we speak and tonight we will have his funeral. Tomorrow they will crown me queen and I will begin ruling over my people. All the while Elizabeth will be awaiting the return of her riders with the three of you and when they do not come it will begin." Kirin turned and walked back to where all the dragons had landed.

"What will begin?" Hayden asked as he began to walk behind her.

Kirin looked over her shoulder and smiled with her eyes full of tears. "War."

Hayden made his way to get Cass and Shane out of their tents but Kirin stopped him. "I have already spoke to them there is no need to disturb them now. What I have to say to you is for you and only you."

Kirin and Hayden made their way to the dragons and as they neared, the elves that had been tending to their dragons stopped and fell to their knees. Most began to weep when they saw their future queen. Hayden knew that they were pressed for time but still Kirin stopped and thanked each one of the elves and helped them to their feet.

Hayden and Kirin mounted their dragon and took to the sky.

Where are we going? Draek asked as he took his time climbing higher into the sky. There was no need to hurry because Draek would out fly Nignra without even trying so he let Kirin and her green dragon get some distance in front of them.

I have no idea. Hayden looked out over the forest as they slowly made their way after Nignra. For the first time Hayden could see evidence of the elves from above the tree line. All across the horizon smoke climbed its way out from amongst the trees and reached for the heavens above. Elves everywhere had lit fires as a symbol of morning for the passing of their king.

Kirin did not fly towards any of smoke columns. She led her dragon away from the elves and in a direction Hayden and Draek had never been.

How are you? Hayden asked his silver friend. He knew that Draek had not sustained any life threatening injuries but that did not mean that he wasn't hurting.

I am sore but I will live, how are you? Hayden knew the question was not about his physical well being. Even though Hayden hadn't directly contacted Draek while he spoke with Raena Draek was always in his mind.