It really sounded like a therapy session when he put it like that. Emma thought for a second before answering.

"It feels like there is an endless amount of invisible rules that I have to abide by, yet I don't know what they are, and I rarely ever get an explanation."

"Even from Jean?"

Emma sighed when she remembered about Jean again. She missed her, and she wished to see her with that same lively expression in her eyes again, or as lively as a person who's been dead for a thousand years could be...

"It's not that she doesn't explain... I think she just has so many problems of her own that it becomes impossible sit down and have a proper conversation about things."

Marius hummed,

"I'm not surprised. No offence but Jean is probably too far down the rabbit hole to recover." 

"I've heard many people say that, but it's hard to give up on someone who you know wants to get better. Especially when you relate to the mistakes they've done in the past."

"Of course, it doesn't mean you still can't try. I mean, if I thought it was a completely helpless case I wouldn't have offered my help. That's really interesting what you said though, what do you relate to with her?"

Emma was caught off-guard with the question. She had never thought about putting it into words before. She leaned back on her chair and thought for a while.

"She gave up on her humanity for someone she loved and cared about, twice. That, for me, matters more than giving it up simply for more power."

"You mean Jacob."

She nodded.

"It was weird to witness what they had... and then lost. I'm extra mad that he refused to accept any of her apologies, or not even thanked her for saving his life. How can you be so blind to the sacrifices someone made for you?"

"Maybe you're thinking about this too deep." Marius finished his drink, crushing the ice between his teeth before putting the glass down. "Not everything has to make sense in this world. Sometimes, people are just upset and that makes them act out on emotions. Have you never made any rash decisions out of anger, or sadness?"

Has she? When Emma thought about it, her lashing out at the Crusader and trying to save Jean would have gotten her killed if not for Jes. It was a stupid and reckless decision. Although even if she could go back in time, she didn't think she'd make a different choice. It was extremely aggravating to see her get treated like that, she couldn't possibly not do anything. 

When Emma stood quiet for a while and seemed lost in her thoughts, Marius took her silence as agreement.

"Even those who look like they have it all figured out might just be improvising on the spot, hoping to fool everyone around them that they know what they're doing. In some cases, they might even be fooling themselves. Don't think about it too much. It'll give you a headache."

He reached his empty glass out and a kin nearby came to take it and get him another drink.

"Alcohol?"

"Uh, can kindred drink alcohol?"

"You can, it won't make you drunk but you could still enjoy the taste."

Emma creased her brows and shook her head.

"Doesn't sound very pleasant."

He shrugged.

"Suit yourself."

He made a gesture with his hand, urging Emma to continue talking.

"Go on, we still have time on the clock."