2

It was a few days after Fiona's last visit to Abbott hall and she rather to leave Nathan alone for a while. But a morning a servant arrived at Danford Abbey and delivered a message from Nathan: he asked her to go and visit him on the day and time she pleased.

Fiona was pleased to receive his invitation and she had the answer delivered to Nathan, that she was going to Abbott hall in the afternoon.

Fiona used to ride to go around, so that afternoon she took her horse and she ridden headed to Abbott hall, but galloping suddenly she lost control and she fell down. She hurt her ankle and she decided to go back, she took the horse and walked slowly to home.

Meanwhile Nathan was waiting for her, but when it had passed more than an hour, he thought she wasn't going to come and perhaps the reason was the way he had behaved with her the previous time. Mrs. Abbott walked in his room, he was standing before the window, "Why don't we go out in the garden?", she asked him, "She is not coming...", Nathan said with a faint voice, he turned around and, with his look troubled, he walked towards the door, leaning himself against the cabinets, Mrs. Abbott came closer to help him, but he admonished her: "Leave me", he reached the door and he walked down the corridor, "Where are you going?", asked Mrs. Abbott, but he did not answer and she rather not to follow him.

Leaning against the wall and the furnishings, Nathan walked to the back door staggering and opened it, he walked out getting in the garden and he took a few steps before falling down on his knees with his soul in pain, two tears fell down from his eyes... he thought without the conversations with Fiona he had nothing more to fill his empty existence.

Fiona, as soon as she arrived home, sent immediately a servant to deliver a message to Abbott hall, to let them know she was not going because of the fall and she was going to visit them as soon as possible.

Received the message, Mrs. Abbott immediately went to report it to Nathan, who had returned in his room. He said: "I wish to be left alone", Mrs. Abbott told him: "Fiona sent a message", Nathan changed his look, the mother continued: "She had a little fall from her horse on the way, that is why she did not come", Nathan was surprised, "Is she all right?", he asked, "She is. She says she will come to visit you as soon as possible", Mrs. Abbott said, Nathan felt relieved, "...So is this the reason why?", he whispered, "Fiona cares about you", Mrs. Abbott said, "Her visits are the only thing that gives me joy",  Nathan said as a tear fell down, he felt freed from a burden knowing Fiona was not resented with him.

In the following days, Nathan waited for her visit and finally, as soon as Fiona was able to walk again, she went to visit him. Nathan's face lit up when he was told of Fiona's visit and he asked her about her condition,       "I just hurt my ankle a little bit, but it is better already", she said sitting down in front of him, "I am sorry I've missed our tea", she continued, "That day I thought you did not want to see me anymore", Nathan said melancholy, "Of course not", Fiona replied feeling sorry for him, "I've been rude last time we have met", Nathan said, "It happens to everyone sometimes", she replied, Nathan got restless and said: "Your visits are my only distraction. They are like the fresh soothing rain after a dray day", Fiona felt flattered, but she also had an insight, "I am pleased. And about the distractions matter, it can be resolved",  she said, "I am certain other acquaintances of yours would be happy to see you again", Nathan, suddenly serious, said nothing, in that moment Mrs. Abbott walked in and carried the tea.

The pair began to drink the tea and Fiona said: "This weekend I would like to go to theater in town to assist to an opera, I am certain some of our neighbors will be there. Why don't you come with me? Is there best opportunity to meet some people again?", Nathan was bewildered and in awe of such a proposal, "...I don't think is the case", he just said, "Why not?", Fiona asked, "Why would someone in my condition assist to a play in theater?", he said in a provocative tone, "The opera is to be listened", Fiona replied, "Do you think      I would want people to see me like this?", Nathan said in an irritated tone, "And what are you planning to do? Not to leave your house anymore? You can not hide yourself from others all the time", she said, Nathan put down the cup and said: "Do you think I would want to be seen accompanied by you, to hear the pitying whispers?", uncomfortably Fiona said: "I did not mean to irritate you with my proposal", she put the cup down, "I know", Nathan replied with the eyes down, "It is better for me to go", she said, standing up, "Will you come to visit me again?", Nathan asked, "Of course", Fiona replied saying goodbye.