1 (PART I)

THE BOOK DOES NOT EXPRESS ANY POLITICAL IDEA, JUST TELLS THE EVENTS.

DO NOT COPY, DISCLOSE OR SHARE ANY PART OF THE STORY.

"A luminous look gladdens the heart and glad news revives the bones" - Book of Proverbs.

                                                                                1

The people of Ireland had been trying for many years to achieve the Independence from the British Rule. In that winter of 1919, after the end of the World War One, violent riots began between the Republicans and the British Army, especially in Dublin and in the Cork area, involving civilians either.

Many were the dead and the injured, but unfortunately the Irish Republicans seemed to be in disadvantage and the Independence still appeared out of reach.

The news of the riots reached the Galway area as well. There was a manor in the countryside called Danford abbey, where the Everdene family lived in, one of the most influential family in the area, which was composed by Mr. and Mrs. Everdene and their four daughters, all still unmarried, all of them were maids of remarkable beauty.

Mr. Walter Everdene was neutral about the Independence matter, which it showed his mild temper.

The Everdene sisters were very different from each other: the eldest, Gwyneth, twenty-three years old, was the most responsible of all, the second child, Fiona, was determined but sensible, the third was Lucasta, nineteen years old, introverted and a little naive, but with a talent for music and the youngest was Rowella, seventeen years old, mute since the age of seven. *[1]

No men had aroused their interest yet. 

The Everdenes particularly cared about the education of their daughters, they believed the female children should've been educated as much as the boys; the four young ladies were fluent in three languages.

The Everdene sisters loved the country life and most of all they loved spending time by the river. But of course they also loved attending balls in town.

Danford abbey included several acres of land, many of which were cultivated and about seventy farmhands worked there. Mr. Everdene was an honest man with his subordinates.

When the news of the riots reached Galway, the Everdenes got worried because among the republicans who took part of it there were the two sons of the Abbotts, their longtime friends. Mr. Abbott was a republican, as well as their sons, who had lived in Dublin for some years.

Soon they learned that the youngest son was was injured, therefore he had returned home.

Mrs. Everdene and her daughters wanted to visit him. The first time they went to the Abbotts they were not received by the young Abbott and they decided to return a few days later. 

The Everdene sisters had not seen Nathan Abbott since he had left for the Dublin, they recalled him as a teenager when he used to play cricket with them; he was the same age as the second child, Fiona, twenty-two years old, even the character was similar to hers, they were both very blunt.

In those days Fiona had been thinking of Nathan Abbott often and she insisted with her mother to return to visit him. This time they were received by him, but before Mrs. Abbott informed them that Nathan had partially lost his eyesight.

Fiona felt sad for him and when she saw him she couldn't help but noticing his face tried by suffering, Nathan kept his eyes down all the time and spoke very little. About the rest, he was as she recalled him, an handsome boy with delicate face features and black hair hung down on the forehead, the only different things were two small, barely visible scars on the forehead and on the side of one eye.